Oztrike gear change screw up

Reaction score
I live in Australia, hoping to get help from the Trike brains trust. After spending the last few weeks tidying up the engine area, totally revamping the fuel system and cleaning up wiring, the last job to do on my 2009 1916cc Oztrike was to adjust the gear change. It would pop out of gear after fitting a heavy gear knob, I was told a minor adjustment would fix this and remove the heavy knob, which I have done. So after trying, for a few hours now, I have got maybe 2 gears, sometimes reverse, I am now at wits end. Can anyone advise a sure fire way to adjust so I can get gears back, obviously there is something I'm not doing or some missing info I need. Any help would be gratefully appreciated, so I can get it back on the road and cruising. The first 3 pics are of what I have done, the last 4 are of the gear change setup.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 63
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 65
I live in Australia, hoping to get help from the Trike brains trust. After spending the last few weeks tidying up the engine area, totally revamping the fuel system and cleaning up wiring, the last job to do on my 2009 1916cc Oztrike was to adjust the gear change. It would pop out of gear after fitting a heavy gear knob, I was told a minor adjustment would fix this and remove the heavy knob, which I have done. So after trying, for a few hours now, I have got maybe 2 gears, sometimes reverse, I am now at wits end. Can anyone advise a sure fire way to adjust so I can get gears back, obviously there is something I'm not doing or some missing info I need. Any help would be gratefully appreciated, so I can get it back on the road and cruising. The first 3 pics are of what I have done, the last 4 are of the gear change setup.

Allen......Welcome To Trike-Talk.....:wave4::wave4:..

First question did the transmission work properly before you put the gear lever knob on. Transmissions don't normally jump out of gear. So there's a good possibility it's worn or has a bent fork. There's no special procedure in the vw manual for shift linkage adjustment other than looking down from the top, with the lever off. In neutral the socket should be centered. If it was me I would disconnect the gear lever and just using the rod see if you can select all the gears. Is this something you've owned for a while or you just purchased. If you just got it, now you no why they sold it?

Check out this sight; Aircoled.net. Inc…Murray Utah USA.

I had a speed shifter similar to theirs on my 71 beetle, And it tighten up the whole shifting mechanism.👍.

It is very rare that a shifter adjustment and/or a heavy shift knob would make one "pop" out of gear. That is more likely to be wear on the synchro hub than anything else.

Sometimes when the coupler at trans is severely worn out you can be missing the fore and aft travel to put it all way into gear. But it looks like you have a nice u-joint there.

The hard part to adjust in the shifter is how it rotates that shaft with the side to side movement of the shifter. That white plastic bushing needs to have near zero slack in it, and the coupler at trans also with no slack.

On the car with a stock style shifter I usually start the adjusting in second gear. As in..... manually put trans in second and then place the shifter and it's plate underneath in position for second and tighten up the bolts. This normally puts it close and a little of trial and error of loosening the bolts part way and pushing the underneath plate a little at a time (with a screwdriver and hammer).

The objective is to get 1 and 2 shift straight down the side of that underneath plate. If you push down or pull hard it will go past the plate lip and into reverse gate.

And another thing to check.....

It all looks good in the pics.....but motor mounts can give you shifting fits. If the tail of that trans is moving around it can pull it out of gear under throttle and/or move where that under the shifter plate needs to be as the trans moves side to side.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png