• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

New trike and not sure I am happy.

​Have owned a trike since 2012 and I miss leaning into the curves as does Ma. We've ridden it 40,000 miles but I ride it so little now I really should sell it.

Gotta say when i bought my tri-glide i didn't know if i liked it. My first ride i thought what did i buy here. But after a few hundred miles i was use to it and enjoy every mile. Didn't take me long as i was used to riding three and four wheelers in the dirt.

Switched to three wheels because i lost my left leg in a deer meets motorcycle incident in 2014.

I would give it some time and miles. And YES, I can out run and out brake most of my pals on their 2 wheelers in the corners.

I still really miss my 2 wheeler. If could still comfortably ride one still I would. That being said the Tri-Glide handles really good in the twisties. Rode the Black Hills and Beartooth pass last year it was a blast. It's a different type of ride but its still riding.

I have made some major changes on my trike Over the last few weeks. Completely rebuilt the front suspension. Talked to people ate Roadsmith and Progressive. after changes trike been sitting for couple weeks because of wether today I got it out.

I got to go out and test ride my trike today. Yes there is a big difference. The major change I made was the front suspension of the bike. As a bike the bike was to soft. I upgraded the front with Progressive mono tubes. Made major change to the bike. I told trike builder it had progressives in it. They said it would be fine. After bike was converted the trike to me it did not handle well. Also did not sit just right. I was told that the fork extentions that are normally installed can not be installed on Progressive front struts. I started doing research and looked at several trike forums. After talking with Roadsmith and Progressive I determend that the trike should have not been built with the Mono tubes. Also I was still running a Bridgestone G709 front tire. I am not sure how much the tire makes but I changed it out being I had the front all apart. Now have a BT46 on front. Before my changes I was frustrated with what I had done to the bike. It felt like I was going to get thrown over the handlebars when I went into a corner. Now with the front end changes it seems much better. I did not get a bunch of miles in, but enough to notice the difference. I am not an Interstate Highway rider. I dont go out and cruise for hundreds of miles. I like back roads and twistees. Maybe that is why some people get by with modified front end suspension. All my Progressive stuff is boxed up and a friend is getting it for his bike. I am now back to Honda forks. I have the 2' fork tube extensions. Only thing not stock on forks is a set of Progressive springs that were recomended by Roadsmith and Progressive. Maybe this will help someone else, maybe not. I hope to get several more miles and adjust myself to the trike. Our forcast is looking better but I know we can still see more snow.

Well I now have a few thousand miles on the trike. The front end rebuild has made a big change. Been on the bike quite a bit. It handles pretty good. Made some tire pressure changes. My advice for anyone that is going to have a trike kit added to a Goldwing. If you have Traxxion or Progressive Strut front suspension. Convert it back to stock front before you have it built.

Well I now have a few thousand miles on the trike. The front end rebuild has made a big change. Been on the bike quite a bit. It handles pretty good. Made some tire pressure changes. My advice for anyone that is going to have a trike kit added to a Goldwing. If you have Traxxion or Progressive Strut front suspension. Convert it back to stock front before you have it built.

Glad to hear you feel more comfortable on your trike now.

Curious - since your wife also has a trike - dd you ride that one before converting? If so, how did you feel.

Also, if her ride is not as comfortable as yours with the changes - perhaps it is time to make some adjustments to her trike.

I rode her trike and all was good. I feel that the problem was the aftermarket struts in the front. They do not work properly they are to stiff and are not able to travel with the rake.

I am glad you are feeling better about the trike. The one thing I tell those on two wheels, who laugh about my trike, I tell them:

"One Of These Days, You Will Be Old Enough To Want One".

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png