New trike and not sure I am happy.

Ghost Rider 2

30+ Posts
Sep 23, 2022
Downs, Illinois USA
I recently had my 2014 Goldwing converted to a Roadsmith Trike.. I had it done end of October family medical problems kept me off the trike most of the fall. I only have riden about 1500 miles. So far I don't like it. My wife has been on a trike for 15 plus years and thinks it great. She says I will get used to it and all will be OK. I dont think I should have to wait to get used to it. Never had to wait to get used to any other Goldwing and I have owned over 10 of them. I am seriously thinking of giving my trike to my wife and trading her older one in on something different for me. Anyone else regret going to a trike??

I recently had my 2014 Goldwing converted to a Roadsmith Trike.. I had it done end of October family medical problems kept me off the trike most of the fall. I only have riden about 1500 miles. So far I don't like it. My wife has been on a trike for 15 plus years and thinks it great. She says I will get used to it and all will be OK. I dont think I should have to wait to get used to it. Never had to wait to get used to any other Goldwing and I have owned over 10 of them. I am seriously thinking of giving my trike to my wife and trading her older one in on something different for me. Anyone else regret going to a trike??

My wife had a trike from 1996 - 2004. I was still on two wheels. In 2021, I converted my new bike to a trike - love it and never looked back.

Curious, what part of your not getting use to it are you referring? Still having said that - if it is not something you want, perhaps giving it to your wife and upgrading her's might be the way to go.

Curious, what year is her trike? I always seem to give my wife the better of our vehicles.

When I triked our motorcycle it took me 600 or so miles to decide I did the right thing. Now with the many miles we have traveled as a trike we love it!

As has been ask, what don't you like?

My wife's Trike is a Roadsmith 2004. My problem is I just not comfortable. To me the trike handles terrible. I scraped pegs on it as a bike. Push hard in corners was great. Now I don't feel I have control of the bike. No lean I think is the most of it. Trying to steer the thing just seems totally wrong to me.

I’ve never regretted it but from 2008 when I got my first trike, until about 2018 I would switch off to my two wheelers every now and then. Around 2018 I sold my last two wheelers. There aren’t any roads I have to worry about making a U-turn on to get into my camp. I have to drive over a mile and a half on a dirt gravel pothole Road and it’s so much easier on Trike..

But that said.. Follow your heart get another two wheeler. .

My wife Trike is a Roadsmith 2004. My problem is I just not comfortable. To me the trike handles terrible. I scraped pegs on it as a bike. Push hard in corners was great. Now I don't feel I have control of the bike. No lean I think is the most of it. Trying to steer the think just seems totally wrong to me.

The no lean and scraping pegs is definitely something to get used to not doing. Steering takes time to get used to. Is your trike raked?

When I steer I still lean my body into the turn just as I get to the turn letting my outside arm straighten out then sit back up going into the turn to let my straight outside arm turn the handlebars instead doing the push/pull.

Last edited:
I think I need to ask a question. Does anyone on this site believe they can take their trike and ride at the the same pace as Monk in Arkansas or Yellow Wolf in North Carolina? If I try to push a corner just a little I feel like I am out of control of the trike. Push, Pull, or shove the trike it just just don't feel right. I don't want to crash this thing. But I don't want to ride like I am in a parade.

I think I need to ask a question. Does anyone on this site believe they can take their trike and ride at the the same pace as Monk in Arkansas or Yellow Wolf in North Carolina? If I try to push a corner just a little I feel like I am out of control of the trike. Push, Pull, or shove the trike it just just don't feel right. I don't want to crash this thing. But I don't want to ride like I am in a parade.

I outride my two wheel friends in corners all the time... twisty roads are still my favorites.

Like stated before when I steer I still lean my body into the turn just as I get to the turn letting my outside arm straighten out then sit back up going into the turn to let my straight outside arm turn the handlebars instead doing the push/pull.

So what pushed ya to riding a trike? If you can still ride two, do it. You'll never be happy on three. They're completely different animals. People tell you how great trikes are, they're good if you just want to stay in the wind, that's about it as far I can see. Nothing beats the freedom and eze of riding two.:)

reason I went to 3 is bad knee. it was damaged in bike wreck few years back. I having trust issues with a close to 1000 pound bike. I thinking about going to something like an F6B they are in the 800 plus pound range. Thinking that could be better for a couple more years or longer.

Try this, when going into a curve press down on the floorboard of the opposite direction you are turning. If going left press down on the right board or peg. The trike is like your car, it wants to throw you the opposite direction you are going. Lock the elbow of your pushing arm and use your upper body to help push. Give it time, it took me more than 2500 miles to get used to the trike.

Try this, when going into a curve press down on the floorboard of the opposite direction you are turning. If going left press down on the right board or peg. The trike is like your car, it wants to throw you the opposite direction you are going. Lock the elbow of your pushing arm and use your upper body to help push. Give it time, it took me more than 2500 miles to get used to the trike.

Yup, what I was try to put into words!

This is a hard question. My reason to go trike is muscles. I still wanted to ride.

I was having trouble even pushing my bike. I knew I was in trouble with two wheelers. I guess I could downsize to a scooter.

A gym membership is in my future I think.

Sir - I believe you have gotten a lot of good directions here. I loved my two wheeler - wife got it for my on my birthday, Jan 2021. A brand new 2021 Ultra. It sat in my garage all winter and I made so many plans for the spring and summer.

Then, I had carpal tunnel surgery. Rook me a while to heal. When ready to ride, I found it difficult to hold me right hand brake and balance the bike at the same time. This was especially difficult if going up a hill - and my bike has the RDRS which included hill assist.

To make matters worse, my wife loves the curves on two wheels. Still, I know there might be a problem. So, do I stop riding. What would I do with that beautiful bike my wife gave me for my birthday. She said, trike it and if you can't ride it, I will ride you on the back. Thats exactly wat we did - and I love it.

Just one more suggestion - do you have a backrest? If so, use it. Just sit back, use the push and pull method. Right hand curve, push the left handlebar, etc. You the backrest as a brace.

You mentioned a rake - mine is 11 deg - have a CSC kit. Trust me - worth every bit of it. Nothing is better for us that my wife and me together on the bike

For 15 years I had a bike and a trike. I never once found myself on the trike wishing I was on the bike, but I recall quite a few times being on the bike and wishing I was on the trike.

Speaking of scraping pedals, etc ... I had a high speed "get off" in 1977 while on a Triumph, it was enough of that sillyness for me to last a lifetime.

I think the transition is harder when going from 2 wheels immediately to 3. This seems to be the general consensus from everything I've seen. For me, fortunately or unfortunately, there were a few years (10) between my transition and I didn't have as many issues as others seem to have. It also helped me when I took the 3 wheel riding class on my Tri Glide. It helped me "unlearn" some of the habits I had issues with. Now, I enjoy my trike as much and sometimes more than I did my bikes. Don't give up and just stick with it. Maybe consider taking the 3 wheel class as well. I know I learned a lot even though I had been riding since I was a teen too many years ago.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png