Trike Oil Change

Leaky Waders

40+ Posts
Dec 30, 2022
Houston, TX, USA
Good afternoon Y'all,

I am making preparations for the first oil change on my trike. In all the video's I have watched it shows the bike being lifted and level when draining oil from the 3 drain plugs under the DCT model. In the attached photo you can see that I backed the rear wheels up on ramps and left the front tire on the garage floor. This gives me plenty of room to work under the bike. Is there a problem draining the oil with the bike in this unlevel position or should I use my jack to raise the front end as well? TIA.

Paul

Attachments

• Ramped.jpg
    Ramped.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 555
I can't imagine why you couldn't change everything with the trike sitting flat on the ground. I change mine on a lift but only because it makes it easier. To be honest I don't know about Honda Trikes.

I can't imagine why you couldn't change everything with the trike sitting flat on the ground. I change mine on a lift but only because it makes it easier. To be honest I don't know about Honda Trikes.

I agree, When changing oil, filter, coolant brake oil. My trike sits flat in the garage

Very easy idea here; to lift up your trike to make it level......

I cut three 4X4 boards 17inch long........Jack up the rear first and place a cut 4x4 under each rear wheel, (place your bike in 1st gear so it won't roll) and then jack up the front of the bike and place a 4x4 under the front wheel........Now your 4inch high'rr and can crawl under it easier, and place an oil catch container under it w/o any difficulties....... easy pessy!

Ronnie

2/5/23

Very easy idea here; to lift up your trike to make it level......

I cut three 4X4 boards 17inch long........Jack up the rear first and place a cut 4x4 under each rear wheel, (place your bike in 1st gear so it won't roll) and then jack up the front of the bike and place a 4x4 under the front wheel........Now your 4inch high'rr and can crawl under it easier, and place an oil catch container under it w/o any difficulties....... easy pessy!

Ronnie

2/5/23

Thanks Ronnie,

I ended up leaving the rear wheels on the ramps and jacking up the front tire and placing two pave stones under the front tire. I removed the jack and the drain pan fit well with room to spare.

Paul

Thanks Ronnie,

I ended up leaving the rear wheels on the ramps and jacking up the front tire and placing two pave stones under the front tire. I removed the jack and the drain pan fit well with room to spare.

Paul

Paul,

Sounds like you did what you had to do, and "cheap'rrr ($$$) than, what, I had suggested..........and it works! Good for you!

Ronnie

2/10/23

Good afternoon Y'all,

I am making preparations for the first oil change on my trike. In all the video's I have watched it shows the bike being lifted and level when draining oil from the 3 drain plugs under the DCT model. In the attached photo you can see that I backed the rear wheels up on ramps and left the front tire on the garage floor. This gives me plenty of room to work under the bike. Is there a problem draining the oil with the bike in this unlevel position or should I use my jack to raise the front end as well? TIA.

Paul

The problem with trikes is not removing the oil or filter(s), but refilling the oil to a proper oil level. Rarely does a trike's engine sit at the same "slant" as an OEM Wing, thus a trike becomes challenging when topping the oil off to it's proper level.

The problem with trikes is not removing the oil or filter(s), but refilling the oil to a proper oil level. Rarely does a trike's engine sit at the same "slant" as an OEM Wing, thus a trike becomes challenging when topping the oil off to it's proper level.

OMG Gregg,

It good to hear from you again...........

I have a 2010 Goldwing trike (Roadsmith) can you give me the actual amount of oil to use when changing both oil ~n~ filter ...(I always just put in the 3.9 QTS THAT THE BOOK CALLS FOR............ and always Honda oil like you quoted in the Gl1800 forum..

PS: I'm Captron (gl1800 forum) wife ~n~ I visited you a few years ago at your shop and you were so nice.............. we will be back in Fla early November again for a few days vacation....

Ronnie

2/13/23

OMG Gregg,

It good to hear from you again...........

I have a 2010 Goldwing trike (Roadsmith) can you give me the actual amount of oil to use when changing both oil ~n~ filter ...(I always just put in the 3.9 QTS THAT THE BOOK CALLS FOR............ and always Honda oil like you quoted in the Gl1800 forum..

PS: I'm Captron (gl1800 forum) wife ~n~ I visited you a few years ago at your shop and you were so nice.............. we will be back in Fla early November again for a few days vacation....

Ronnie

2/13/23

Hey Ronnie ... how are things.

As for your question, I have no idea. All trikes have a different forward/rearward slant or lean. For 5th gens, at my shop, on my shop floor, here is what we do. We take a stock OEM 5th gen Wing with a correct front tire and air pressure, and centerstand it ... on my floor. Then we lay a common 12" Stanely yellow level accross the right valve cover, and we look at the position of the bubble in the glass. We use the bubbles position as a referance. We do all trikes this way.

When a trike comes in for an oil change, we place the same level on the right valve cover and lift either the front or rear to duplicate where the bubble is for a 2-wheel. We the adjust the oil level accordingly.

Hey Ronnie ... how are things.

As for your question, I have no idea. All trikes have a different forward/rearward slant or lean. For 5th gens, at my shop, on my shop floor, here is what we do. We take a stock OEM 5th gen Wing with a correct front tire and air pressure, and centerstand it ... on my floor. Then we lay a common 12" Stanely yellow level accross the right valve cover, and we look at the position of the bubble in the glass. We use the bubbles position as a referance. We do all trikes this way.

When a trike comes in for an oil change, we place the same level on the right valve cover and lift either the front or rear to duplicate where the bubble is for a 2-wheel. We the adjust the oil level accordingly.

What would happen if you just Dumped in 4 full Quarts of oil ? :xzqxz:

What would happen if you just Dumped in 4 full Quarts of oil ? :xzqxz:

If the trike sits low up front, and the oil was drained, it probably means that more then 4 qts was drained, and adding 4 is not enough.

If the trike sits low in the rear, it probably means much less the 4 was drained, and adding 4 means it's overfilled.

As always Gregg (I like your think'n) good idea, I have a level, and about to change out my oil again (I'm an oil changeOHLIC) and believe frequent, changes are good for the engine.......... The book claims every 8,000 miles...and I always follow what the booklet says, BUT 8 thousand miles is way to many for me, I usually change it at 3,000 or more often if I'm going on a long trip

Ronnie 2/1/6/23

Good afternoon Y'all,

Is there a problem draining the oil with the bike in this unlevel position or should I use my jack to raise the front end as well? TIA.

Paul

For us the biggest problem with doing oil changes on trikes, is not the draining of the oil, but refilling them to their proper level. For example, when their ass-end is up like that, they can "over drain," and adding the "recommended" amount after an oil and filter change can be way off.

He we use a Stanley level across a valve cover to know. On our shop floor, we know where the bubble lands and a stock Wing, and "level" a trike accordingly.

For example, about 3-weeks ago we had a 2-whl 5th gen in that had been lowered in the rear and also had a lowered ride-off center stand, and it came in for a tire and an oil change. The only way that I of to get the engine at its correct angle, to properly top off the oil was to lift the rearend with a gantry.

Although I didn't charge the customer an add'l labor charge during this visit, I did advised him that next time their will be.

For us the biggest problem with doing oil changes on trikes, is not the draining of the oil, but refilling them to their proper level. For example, when their ass-end is up like that, they can "over drain," and adding the "recommended" amount after an oil and filter change can be way off.

He we use a Stanley level across a valve cover to know. On our shop floor, we know where the bubble lands and a stock Wing, and "level" a trike accordingly.

For example, about 3-weeks ago we had a 2-whl 5th gen in that had been lowered in the rear and also had a lowered ride-off center stand, and it came in for a tire and an oil change. The only way that I of to get the engine at its correct angle, to properly top off the oil was to lift the rearend with a gantry.

Although I didn't charge the customer an add'l labor charge during this visit, I did advised him that next time their will be.

Thanks Greg,

I ended up jacking up the front end to as close to level with the rear as my eyes could detect before draining and replacing the oil and filters. Next time I will use a small bubble level.

Paul

Greg where does the bubble land? A picture would be great

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png