TriGlide antenna will not come off

Udawg

80+ Posts
Jun 30, 2020
Kathleen, GA, USA
Hi guys, Sorry to lean on you again but I got my TriGlide home and was going to do a simple swap to a shorter antenna. The one I used on my last TriGlide. I finally got the old one off by using a towel and vise grips for about 45 minutes. It was moving about a 16th per turn. Anyway I finally got it off and thought somebody must have use threadlocker on it. Then I proceeded to put the new one on and it's the same problem. Will only go on for about one turn then just locks up again. I looked at the threads on the stud and they don't appear to be crossthreaded but I can not get this thing on for anything. I wonder if anyone knows the exact thread size so I can go get a nut with the right thread and just use a ratchet and socket to clean it up all the way down. I tried with a dye but not sure of the thread size and also the dye hits the lip of the tourpak after one or two turns. Any help or ideas or prior experience with this situation would be greatly appreciated,

Two things : Are you trying to do this in a cold garage? You could also try soaking the threads in WD 40 or light machine oil. The antenna should go off and on by hand.

Two things : Are you trying to do this in a cold garage? You could also try soaking the threads in WD 40 or light machine oil. The antenna should go off and on by hand.

Thanks but it's about 70 degrees and I did put WD40 in the antenna threads and still no go. I have done at least half a dozen and never had this kind of problem.

Thanks but it's about 70 degrees and I did put WD40 in the antenna threads and still no go. I have done at least half a dozen and never had this kind of problem.

If you're having that much trouble I would clean the antenna threads with a tap and clean the threads in the tour pack with a die.

Hi guys, Sorry to lean on you again but I got my TriGlide home and was going to do a simple swap to a shorter antenna. The one I used on my last TriGlide. I finally got the old one off by using a towel and vise grips for about 45 minutes. It was moving about a 16th per turn. Anyway I finally got it off and thought somebody must have use threadlocker on it. Then I proceeded to put the new one on and it's the same problem. Will only go on for about one turn then just locks up again. I looked at the threads on the stud and they don't appear to be crossthreaded but I can not get this thing on for anything. I wonder if anyone knows the exact thread size so I can go get a nut with the right thread and just use a ratchet and socket to clean it up all the way down. I tried with a dye but not sure of the thread size and also the dye hits the lip of the tourpak after one or two turns. Any help or ideas or prior experience with this situation would be greatly appreciated,

Thread size on my 2019 is 6mm X 1 thread pitch (6mm 1.0)

Probably can get a nut that size at your local hardware store.

I broke the stud off and had to drill out the rest of it on the tour pak rear assy.

NOTE: You have to be very careful and have the drill centered exactly. I started with a very small drill and worked my way up to the correct size tap drill bit, then tapped it with lots of lube. Was a pain.

Part number for the stud is

You do not want to replace the rear assy light as it costs $439.00.

I could not remove the stud as I think it had loctite on it.

You may also want to tap the antenna.

ExtraLarge.png

I broke the stud off and had to drill out the rest of it on the tour pak rear assy.

NOTE: You have to be very careful and have the drill centered exactly. I started with a very small drill and worked my way up to the correct size tap drill bit, then tapped it with lots of lube. Was a pain.

View attachment 111666

Thanks KoolBreeze, that will definitely help knowing the right size. I'll try to use a dye and clean it up tomorrow.

I wonder if anyone knows the exact thread size so I can go get a nut with the right thread and just use a ratchet and socket to clean it up all the way down. I tried with a dye but not sure of the thread size and also the dye hits the lip of the tourpak after one or two turns. Any help or ideas or prior experience with this situation would be greatly appreciated,[/QUOTE] Why do people put themselves through this self flagellation? Thread Detective, comes in both SAE and Metric ( get both). Check Amazon and Fleabay. Lifes too short to say bad words over a fastener.

My antenna threads will get rusty after washing and rain. Have to clean the threads and assemble. Metric threads as stated, I carry a metric bold with t he threads filed like a tap to clean the antenna threads.

If you're having that much trouble I would clean the antenna threads with a tap and clean the threads in the tour pack with a die.

Use a thread chaser to clean threads, taps and dies are for cutting new threads...

Remove and replace the antenna stud, about 8 bucks.

Those antenna studs are a 1 inch 1/4-28 allen head set screw. I put stainless one in my bike and now I can't get the antennas off either.

View attachment 111666

Thanks for the info KoolBreeze. I got the part from the Harley dealer and it was like a 2 minute swap out and a $7 part. All that worry and sweat because I had never done one.

Thanks for all the help from everyone that replied.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png