Harley Tri Glide Axle retainer plates

El Lobo

30+ Posts
Hello Fellow trikers

Hope everyone is doing well in 2023. OK; so my question is how to check if the AXLE RETAINER PLATES on the Harley Tri Glides are going bad? I have a 2019 Tri Glide with 20,000 Miles I am getting ready to do the 20,000 Mile service

and would like to know if I need to replace AXLE RETAINER PLATES, if so; I will need to order the Plates From DK Custom before scheduling the service appointment.

I want to thank everyone in advance for you input on this situation.

El Lobo

Hello Fellow trikers, Hope everyone is doing well in 2023. OK; so my question is how to check if the AXLE RETAINER PLATES on the Harley Tri Glides are going bad? I have a 2019 Tri Glide with 20,000 Miles I am getting ready to do the 20,000 Mile service and would like to know if I need to replace AXLE RETAINER PLATES, if so; I will need to order the Plates From DK Custom before scheduling the service appointment. I want to thank everyone in advance for you input on this situation. El Lobo

El Lobo,

The AXLE RETAINER PLATES installed at the factory were going bad as soon as you rode your Tri Glide out the dealer's door! Additional miles just made them worse. It is an easy Remove and Replace (if you have a bearing press, it's even easier!). I did my own Remove and Replace, but had a local indie press the bearings. Most difficult part of the job was jacking the TG up and removing the wheels. Total cost for me? Under $300, using the DK kit.

Jack up your trike, grab the rear wheels 1 at a time, move them in and out

If they have movement they are already wearing and causing damage

There should be no in and out movement and no noise

on my 2020, they were bad 2 yrs ago. Had the DK plates installed. They are so much thicker than the originals . Well made. I had less than half the miles you have and they were already bad. Don't wait too long. Don't forget to replace the bearings also.

I changed the retainer plates on my 19 tri glide at about 22,000 miles. They were definitely warped. I put them on a surface plate and it was easy to see. I took the axles out myself and had an automotive machine shop install the new bearings. The old bearings weren't bad but I changed them because I was in there. It's a good move. I put the DK plates on and should not have to worry about it.

Definitely get the DK Customs plates. I replaced mine at 5000 miles and I was already getting grooves in the stock plates. And this was in prairie riding with very little cornering.

The factory plates are :censored: JUNK.

I changed the retainer plates on my 19 tri glide at about 22,000 miles. They were definitely warped. I put them on a surface plate and it was easy to see. I took the axles out myself and had an automotive machine shop install the new bearings. The old bearings weren't bad but I changed them because I was in there. It's a good move. I put the DK plates on and should not have to worry about it.

I had no indication they were bad. I didn't know until I took it apart and put the plates on a surface plate.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png