Fork seals

geraldlanc

Oct 14, 2011
austin tx usa
After just 7k miles, my left fork is weeping oil. The right is not. Should I replace the seals in just one or do both? Does anyone have the seal driver tool for sale?

Gerald

When was the last time the right seal was replaced? If it's been a while, IMHO, I would consider doing both. If it's been 7k miles since both done, I would only do the left. One of the most common reasons that there is failure on left fork seals is that the anti dive valve has failed in the activated position and this causes too much pressure in that fork, and then it ends up leaking. What I did was add a shim so that even if I have a problem, it has no effect on the fork. In my case, I have Progressive Suspension fork springs so the ADV isn't even necessary. But I've been told that on trikes, the ADV valve isn't really necessary anyway, it's more important on the 2 wheeled GL1800's. Also check the upper tube really good to make sure that there are no nicks or excess dirt that can tear at the seal causing a leak.

Leaky fork

When was the last time the right seal was replaced? If it's been a while, IMHO, I would consider doing both. If it's been 7k miles since both done, I would only do the left. One of the most common reasons that there is failure on left fork seals is that the anti dive valve has failed in the activated position and this causes too much pressure in that fork, and then it ends up leaking. What I did was add a shim so that even if I have a problem, it has no effect on the fork. In my case, I have Progressive Suspension fork springs so the ADV isn't even necessary. But I've been told that on trikes, the ADV valve isn't really necessary anyway, it's more important on the 2 wheeled GL1800's. Also check the upper tube really good to make sure that there are no nicks or excess dirt that can tear at the seal causing a leak.

They were both rebuilt 7k miles ago. I previously deleted the ADV with a shim and I have a seal mate which I used, but it is too cold to ride now to see if that helped.

Gerald

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png