How connect air horn to existing 12v wiring?

nzollie

Mar 5, 2023
Ohio
Hi all. Got a 2006 rewacy VW Trike with 1600 aircooled. I need to replace existing 2-wire 12v horn (1 wire is "hot" permenantly) so I assume the other side is ground??? Not a clue!!!

I have a little 12v air horn with built in compressor - 2 terminals.

How do I connect the existing 2-wire horn wiring from trike via a 4 pin relay to the new horn 2-pin wiring?

I got the relay fitted with battery 12v power & earth - but no matter how I play about with the other 2 terminal/wires I cant work it??? Not very electrically minded. And yes, the hown does work if simply connected straigh to battery live/eart so I know it works.

An help or a little diagram greatly appreciated folks.

Hi all. Got a 2006 rewacy VW Trike with 1600 aircooled. I need to replace existing 2-wire 12v horn (1 wire is "hot" permenantly) so I assume the other side is ground??? Not a clue!!!

How do I connect the existing 2-wire horn wiring from trike via a 4 pin relay to the new horn 2-pin wiring?

I got the relay fitted with battery 12v power & earth - but no matter how I play about with the other 2 terminal/wires I cant work it??? Not very electrically minded. And yes, the hown does work if simply connected straigh to battery live/eart so I know it works.

Ollie….

I can’t help you on the horn, But I can Welcome you to Trike Talk..👍👍..

Thank you

Sorry - had been a member previous but could not remeber my log in info....

Looking athis schematic brings 2 questions:

1) does this mean the 2-wires from original vehicle loom are basically "looping" through the horn??

2) if yes, then 85 and 86 would be the 2-original wires in these positions? so the 12v fused is the "hot" wire of those 2????

Attachments

• horn-relay-gnd-schematic-840x.jpg
    horn-relay-gnd-schematic-840x.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 44

If you didn’t want to use the existing wiring, I would hook it directly to the battery with an in line fuse and an interrupter button..IE press the button to activate the horn.. i’ve done that many times with vehicles when monkeying around with adding extra horns and fog lights…

Just to add, that’s how I hooked up Framm Air horns to my 71 Volkswagen Beetle..

It looks like #87 is looped + feeding both horns, the other wire is the ground

That wiring is good to go for your new horn, you could test that theory with a battery charger and jumper wires before actual install on your trike

120bd

Here's 300 DBs When I hooked it up for trial, OH SHEEEEET!!! Wife came running to the Garage , neighbors sticking their heads out the windows...NO ONE WILL PULL OUT IN FRONT OF YOU WITH THIS eBay Horn, I love it...:clapping:Horn 12V 300DB-LOUD.jpgEDIT: Maybe not use the finger anymore...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png