Fixed my "non-start in gear" issue...

BuzzMe

Reaction score
I've had an issue with my 2015 TriGlide not starting in gear. Replaced the switch thinking it was bad but it still wouldn't start (in gear). Tore into it again to make sure I hadn't pinched a wire; carefully put it back together and still no luck. So, as I was sitting on the bike I happened to be resting my foot on the rear brake pedal when I tried to start it again....guess what....it started. I tried it several more times; foot on the brake, front brake lever depressed, both brakes applied,,, worked every time. Now, I'm p***ed...because nowhere in the owner's manual, shop manual or instructions (included with the new switch), does it say to apply brakes when trying to start the bike in gear. But now I can sleep at night and not rack my brain trying to figure it out. Thanks for listening; ...I feel better now. LOL

I've had an issue with my 2015 TriGlide not starting in gear. Replaced the switch thinking it was bad but it still wouldn't start (in gear). Tore into it again to make sure I hadn't pinched a wire; carefully put it back together and still no luck. So, as I was sitting on the bike I happened to be resting my foot on the rear brake pedal when I tried to start it again....guess what....it started. I tried it several more times; foot on the brake, front brake lever depressed, both brakes applied,,, worked every time. Now, I'm p***ed...because nowhere in the owner's manual, shop manual or instructions (included with the new switch), does it say to apply brakes when trying to start the bike in gear. But now I can sleep at night and not rack my brain trying to figure it out. Thanks for listening; ...I feel better now. LOL

I’ll bet it will also start in gear just holding the brake lever on the bars…👍

I’ll bet it will also start in gear just holding the brake lever on the bars…👍

Either front brake or rear brake will start in gear with clutch in, the front brake seems to need more pressure than the rear

HD has tons of problems with the earlier LH switch pak, the cure there was a new switch pak with the updated clutch lever

I am pretty sure my 15 FLRT (Freewheeler Trike) owners manual stated the starting in gear procedure

Either front brake or rear brake will start in gear with clutch in, the front brake seems to need more pressure than the rear

HD has tons of problems with the earlier LH switch pak, the cure there was a new switch pak with the updated clutch lever

I am pretty sure my 15 FLRT (Freewheeler Trike) owners manual stated the starting in gear procedure

From my many years experience with bikes, trikes ATC’s ATVs It’s been ingrained on me to never try to start any of them in gear or even in neutral, without my foot firmly on one brake and hand on the clutch lever especially if you have a bike that has clutch lurch (Sticking clutch plates when cold)……..

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png