1973 VW Roadmaster spedo cable

vwtrykeguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a spedo cable for my trike? Its 52 '' with a large, standard looking upper end, and a very small end at wheel.

What company made the forks on the first models? Looks like roadmaster site is for later models.

Does anyone know where I can get a spedo cable for my trike? Its 52 '' with a large, standard looking upper end, and a very small end at wheel.

What company made the forks on the first models? Looks like roadmaster site is for later models.

Rich…..Can’t help on the cable or forks….But I can Welcome you to Trike Talk.👍👍..

Rick welcome. Call Roadsmith Trikes, the owner built the original VW trikes. He is still around and they maybe able to get you the info. He comes on the forum every once in awhile.

MrTrike

Rick welcome. Call Roadmaster the owner built the original VW trikes. He is still around and they maybe able to get you the info. He comes on the forum every once in awhile.

This is Dick Lindholm. I founded the Trike Shop which made the Runabounts and Roadhawks From 1972-2008. My company made the springer and used a 17" and 18" front rim. I was not able to find that size anymore so we had to go to a wider HD rim witch would not fit between the lower springs. So we had to widen the springer rails by 2" and move the 2 springs to the top to make the wider tire and rim fit. The VDO Speedo Drive Gear on axle became obsolete so we had to go to an electronic VDO Speedo and install 6 magnets on outside CV joint along with a pickup unit and wired back to the speedo. It must be calibrated to your tire diamater which instructions come with new speedo. So your new cable cannot be replaced as we don"t have any. Good Luck and Keep-On-Triken

Thank You for creating such a great product!:goodjob:

This is Dick Lindholm. I founded the Trike Shop which made the Runabounts and Roadhawks From 1972-2008. My company made the springer and used a 17" and 18" front rim. I was not able to find that size anymore so we had to go to a wider HD rim witch would not fit between the lower springs. So we had to widen the springer rails by 2" and move the 2 springs to the top to make the wider tire and rim fit. The VDO Speedo Drive Gear on axle became obsolete so we had to go to an electronic VDO Speedo and install 6 magnets on outside CV joint along with a pickup unit and wired back to the speedo. It must be calibrated to your tire diamater which instructions come with new speedo. So your new cable cannot be replaced as we don"t have any. Good Luck and Keep-On-Triken

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png