Primary Chain Tensioner

19jman

20+ Posts
Mar 27, 2022
LHC, AZ, US
Good morning,

I had to replace my shifter shaft seal on my 2012 & noticed my primary chain tensioner shoe is close to needing replacement. Are the MoCo tensioners still an issue? Makes sense to me about “too much” tension from everything I’ve read. Was considering the Hayden or a manual tensioner. Thank you as always for the advice.

IMO, a manual adjuster would be the answer to keep the hydraulic tensioner from over adjusting

The problem tho would be how to adjust it unless you have an inspection plate on your outer primary cover

Good morning,

I had to replace my shifter shaft seal on my 2012 & noticed my primary chain tensioner shoe is close to needing replacement. Are the MoCo tensioners still an issue? Makes sense to me about “too much” tension from everything I’ve read. Was considering the Hayden or a manual tensioner. Thank you as always for the advice.

How many miles on the scoot?

I'd stay with the factory style.

Seems like I read that they had updated the automatic adjuster to eliminate the previous problem of overtightening?

The problem I see is the tensioner does not take into account where the chain is tightest, with the old style tensioner you can via the rear wheel turn the engine( tranny in gear) to find the tight spot during the adjustment

The hydraulic tensioner is going to do this randomly JMO

The problem I see is the tensioner does not take into account where the chain is tightest, with the old style tensioner you can via the rear wheel turn the engine( tranny in gear) to find the tight spot during the adjustment

The hydraulic tensioner is going to do this randomly JMO

I agree Jack. I’ve had to pull the primary cover on mine to back it down. You can hear it when it’s too tight. A 2012 won’t have an inspection cover. Too bad they discontinued them.

I have used at least 30 Haydens over the years, The last one I used Was in my 2020 Tri Glide the old ones the shoe was white the new was some cheap black plastic looking shit, when it broke the shoe got caught between the primary chain & clutch hub sprocket it bent the crankshaft & broke the left side engine case. I called Hayden told them what happened they said they would get back to me, after I hung up the phone they would never answer my phone number or any text. I would never use any Hayden Product Again.

I have used at least 30 Haydens over the years, The last one I used Was in my 2020 Tri Glide the old ones the shoe was white the new was some cheap black plastic looking shit, when it broke the shoe got caught between the primary chain & clutch hub sprocket it bent the crankshaft & broke the left side engine case. I called Hayden told them what happened they said they would get back to me, after I hung up the phone they would never answer my phone number or any text. I would never use any Hayden Product Again.

Well that just sucks the fat one … bad when something like this happens. Customer service is key …

Thank you for the advice.

When I put the new motor in I bought a Baker Attitude Adjuster primary chain adjuster it was good . If I remember right at that time a few other members used the Baker with no problems .

When I put the new motor in I bought a Baker Attitude Adjuster primary chain adjuster it was good . If I remember right at that time a few other members used the Baker with no problems .

Dan I wasn’t making fun of your problems. Sorry if it came off that way. The issue with them not calling you sucks. Specially from. A repeat customer.

I believe they have a good product but service after the sale ????

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png