HJC-IS Cruiser Helmet Audio Help

prariepilot

150+ Posts
Reaction score
My TG is a '13 and was fitted in its earlier years with a corded JM Corporation (Tucson AZ) audio set-up for the rider and passenger H-D half-helmets. Moved this set-up from shorty helmets to shorty helmets over the years and were pleased with JM's product.

I've just replaced another set of helmets and purchased the HJC-IS Cruiser helmets as their replacement. The old, serviceable JM audio will not fit the new HJC helmets and JC has no system that will.

Is anyone on the forum using HJC-IS Cruiser helmets and what are you using for audio? Keep in mind this is a '13 TG with a Garmin 665 SXM/GPS that is bluetooth compatible. I had a CARDO unit years ago that never worked. That's what prompted the JM Corp purchase.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks!

My TG is a '13 and was fitted in its earlier years with a corded JM Corporation (Tucson AZ) audio set-up for the rider and passenger H-D half-helmets. Moved this set-up from shorty helmets to shorty helmets over the years and were pleased with JM's product.

I've just replaced another set of helmets and purchased the HJC-IS Cruiser helmets as their replacement. The old, serviceable JM audio will not fit the new HJC helmets and JC has no system that will.

Is anyone on the forum using HJC-IS Cruiser helmets and what are you using for audio? Keep in mind this is a '13 TG with a Garmin 665 SXM/GPS that is bluetooth compatible. I had a CARDO unit years ago that never worked. That's what prompted the JM Corp purchase.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks!

Hello - please tell me why you don't think the J&M headsets will work in the new helmet. Is it because you don't have speaker pockets? If that is the case, you can buy those pockets and put them in.

Also, just as an FYI - J&M makes these - they fit in half helmets. If you cme back, I think I can offer you a better alternative.

J&M ELITE 801 SERIES INTEGRATED HELMET HEADSET FOR MOST SHORTY-STYLE (1/2) HELMETS

Finally - why doesn't your cardo work? I have the Packtalk bold and it works.

Hello - please tell me why you don't think the J&M headsets will work in the new helmet. Is it because you don't have speaker pockets? If that is the case, you can buy those pockets and put them in. Also, just as an FYI - J&M makes these - they fit in half helmets. If you come back, I think I can offer you a better alternative.

J&M ELITE 801 SERIES INTEGRATED HELMET HEADSET FOR MOST SHORTY-STYLE (1/2) HELMETS

Finally - why doesn't your cardo work? I have the Packtalk bold and it works.

First, in conversations with the JM folks in Tucson, THEY told me the J&M ELITE 801 SERIES INTEGRATED HELMET HEADSET FOR MOST SHORTY-STYLE (1/2) HELMETS won't fit the HJC-IS Cruiser. Key word here is MOST. They tell me the HJC is NOT a TRUE half-helmet; more on the order of a "five-eights" helmet. I confirmed what they told me by contacting HJC and they confirmed what JM told me.

Second, I'm talking CARDO as in ten years ago. They would not stay connected, were difficult to pair and had lousy sound quality when they did connect. The range was not as was advertised; couldn't talk to the "sweep" eight bikes behind me. I physically carried them to the CARDO office (at the time) on the Parkway West in Pittsburgh PA and they were stumped as to why they were intermittently malfunctioning. They couldn't get them to work right. So, I ditched them for the JM setup.

HJC recommended a SENA system that will fit the helmet; Revzilla delivering them tomorrow.

I'll follow up on the success/failure of the SENA install....

First, in conversations with the JM folks in Tucson, THEY told me the J&M ELITE 801 SERIES INTEGRATED HELMET HEADSET FOR MOST SHORTY-STYLE (1/2) HELMETS won't fit the HJC-IS Cruiser. Key word here is MOST. They tell me the HJC is NOT a TRUE half-helmet; more on the order of a "five-eights" helmet. I confirmed what they told me by contacting HJC and they confirmed what JM told me.

Second, I'm talking CARDO as in ten years ago. They would not stay connected, were difficult to pair and had lousy sound quality when they did connect. The range was not as was advertised; couldn't talk to the "sweep" eight bikes behind me. I physically carried them to the CARDO office (at the time) on the Parkway West in Pittsburgh PA and they were stumped as to why they were intermittently malfunctioning. They couldn't get them to work right. So, I ditched them for the JM setup.

HJC recommended a SENA system that will fit the helmet; Revzilla delivering them tomorrow.

I'll follow up on the success/failure of the SENA install....

Thanks for getting back to me. So, if you are going SENA - are you saying that you are moving to wireless

If you go wireless, since you have a 2013, you will not be able to connect to a number of the features to your bike. As an example, if you have a CB, the SENA will not control it for you. On the other hand, if you have the bluetooth Garmin, you should still be OK.

So, have you tried the Harley half-helmet. It has the pockets build in and your J&M will fit perfectly. Wife and I both use these. We have two sets of helmets - wired and wireless. We use the wireless for short hops when it is just us. For longer trips and when we use the CB, we use the wired sets.

Thanks for getting back to me. So, if you are going SENA - are you saying that you are moving to wireless

If you go wireless, since you have a 2013, you will not be able to connect to a number of the features to your bike. As an example, if you have a CB, the SENA will not control it for you. On the other hand, if you have the bluetooth Garmin, you should still be OK.

So, have you tried the Harley half-helmet. It has the pockets build in and your J&M will fit perfectly. Wife and I both use these. We have two sets of helmets - wired and wireless. We use the wireless for short hops when it is just us. For longer trips and when we use the CB, we use the wired sets.

Yes, we are going to try wireless again. Most of the features you mention regarding the H-D audio system on the '13, we don't use anyway. And the inner fairing mounted Garmin Zumo 665 (still works fine!) will remain just to fill the holes in the fairing. I've RAM-mounted my iPhone and power it from the lighter circuit. iPhone has Sirius/XM, Amazon Music and WAZE.

The H-D helmets only come in white or black; not my choice. The H-D Helmets we had were the bright Industrial Orange. I bought multiple sets when they were available, knowing H-D would discontinue them at some point. Very bright for the theory that you will definitely be seen! Wish they would bring them back!

SENA will be here tomorrow. I'll post my pleasure/displeasure as soon as we get to use them. Going to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge on the 9th by ourselves, then two weeks later with our group to Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway down to Maggie Valley, then home.

Sounds like you have a plan. I have heard good thigs about the Sena unit. Since it is Bluetooth, you should be able to use it with your phone for music, etc.

My bet is these units do way more that we know - I guess I have to take some time to see all that it will do.

When you go to Skyline, please do stop by Skyline Harley - new owners and they also own the Harley store here in Michigan. Great folks.

Sounds like you have a plan. I have heard good thigs about the Sena unit. Since it is Bluetooth, you should be able to use it with your phone for music, etc.

My bet is these units do way more that we know - I guess I have to take some time to see all that it will do.

When you go to Skyline, please do stop by Skyline Harley - new owners and they also own the Harley store here in Michigan. Great folks.

I've been to Skyline H-D many times before it became Skyline; Formerly Grove's. Hadn't known it changed ownership/name. We will be stopping there.

I've been to Skyline H-D many times before it became Skyline; Formerly Grove's. Hadn't known it changed ownership/name. We will be stopping there.

Yep - just happened in late April. Wife and I are headed to Doswell, VA next week for a BMW rally. Imagine that. Our BIL rides a BMW - lives in South Carolina and is going. So, he invited us to meet him there.

Guess it can't be too bad having a Harley trike at a BMW rally. We'll stop at Skyline on the way.

No Joy!

Well, The SENA SPH10HD-FM installation on the HJC-IS Cruiser helmet didn't pan out.

I would try the H-D pocket installation, but would like to see how it installs

Next stop, the H-D catalog to see if they included installation instructions on the page. We'll see where I go from here!!!

[FONT=&quot]Sena SPH10HD-FM[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sena SPH10HD-FM[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sena SPH10HD-FM[/FONT]

Guess it can't be too bad having a Harley trike at a BMW rally. We'll stop at Skyline on the way.[/QUOTE]

Just tell them you brought the trike to ride in back of the group cause you have room in the Harleys trunk to pick up all the parts that fall off of the BMW’s..😁..

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png