Outer Axle Bearings

I am starting to plan for my winter time project. Going to install the axle bearing retainer plates from DK. I have about 14k miles on the 21 trike. Need to know the information for the USA made outer axle bearings, so I can get them. Don't want to use the ones made in Korea from Harley. Thanks for the help.

Plan on doing the retainer plate installation on our trike this winter also. Appears to be another area where Harley cost savings bit us.

IMG_7426.jpg

Bored yesterday morning so I decided that I would pull axles now instead of waiting for winter. Here is a picture of R/H retainer plate and bearing. This is at 24,800 miles. Obviously should have replaced the retainer plate with the DK version earlier. Pulling the axles was quite simple however getting the bearings off the axles has turned into quite a tug-of-war. I've got a 20-ton arbor press but it isn't budging these puppies. Going to take the axles over to the local John Deere dealer later today and see if they will be willing to give it a go with their shop presses. Order the new parts yesterday (Thursday) from DK and they are supposed to arrive next Tuesday. Looking forward to getting this fixed and back on the road.

View attachment 114103

Bored yesterday morning so I decided that I would pull axles now instead of waiting for winter. Here is a picture of R/H retainer plate and bearing. This is at 24,800 miles. Obviously should have replaced the retainer plate with the DK version earlier. Pulling the axles was quite simple however getting the bearings off the axles has turned into quite a tug-of-war. I've got a 20-ton arbor press but it isn't budging these puppies. Going to take the axles over to the local John Deere dealer later today and see if they will be willing to give it a go with their shop presses. Order the new parts yesterday (Thursday) from DK and they are supposed to arrive next Tuesday. Looking forward to getting this fixed and back on the road.

Great photo!!! I will replace mine at the end of this riding season.

I have been a professional mechanic all my adult life (since 1973), and I disagree with the idea of prying off a seal on a sealed bearing and adding grease.

I never heard of that idea until I started reading motorcycle forums.

Sealed bearings do not need a lot of grease, the manufacturers know how much to put in.

Besides that, how do we know the grease you add is compatible with the grease already in there?

There is no reason to second guess the people who make these bearings.

I believe the most common reason for sealed bearing failure is due to improper assembly and/or water intrusion.

I suggest you leave the seals alone.

Send an email or letter to a bearing manufacturer and see what they think...

I have been a professional mechanic all my adult life (since 1973), and I disagree with the idea of prying off a seal on a sealed bearing and adding grease.

I never heard of that idea until I started reading motorcycle forums.

Sealed bearings do not need a lot of grease, the manufacturers know how much to put in.

Besides that, how do we know the grease you add is compatible with the grease already in there?

There is no reason to second guess the people who make these bearings.

I believe the most common reason for sealed bearing failure is due to improper assembly and/or water intrusion.

I suggest you leave the seals alone.

Send an email or letter to a bearing manufacturer and see what they think...

To use your own words, " I'm going to strongly disagree with this theory".

I am starting to plan for my winter time project. Going to install the axle bearing retainer plates from DK. I have about 14k miles on the 21 trike. Need to know the information for the USA made outer axle bearings, so I can get them. Don't want to use the ones made in Korea from Harley. Thanks for the help.

What made you decide to replace the rear axle bearing and the retainer plate?

What made you decide to replace the rear axle bearing and the retainer plate?

Just got back from a 6k mile road trip without any issues. I am the type of person that if I know that there is a possible issue with something, go ahead and take care of it before you are sitting on the side of the road wishing you had taken care of it. Watch DK Customs videos about the retainer plates and bearings. For the cost of the plates and bearings, worth it for peace of mind. I will do the install myself. Thanks for asking.

Watch DK Customs videos about the retainer plates and bearings. For the cost of the plates and bearings,

I haven`t seen posts on any forum in reference to the axle bearings or retainer plates failing, except the posts by DK Customs.

I don`t doubt some trikes may have had issues, but if it were a widespread problem there would be a zillion posts about it.

View attachment 114103

Been thinking of this myself, guess I will have to ask my buddy what lb press he has, if less that 20 which I think it is I will have to look elsewear to get them off

All for now Trampas

All finished with the replacement. Real easy to do once the bearings & tone rings were pressed off. John Deere wanted nothing to do with pressing them off since it wasn’t a green color :) Took axles to an auto repair shop and they had a 50-ton press. Popped them right off. I pressed new bearings on and reused the same tone rings. DK plates are not going to warp.

All finished with the replacement. Real easy to do once the bearings & tone rings were pressed off. John Deere wanted nothing to do with pressing them off since it wasn’t a green color :) Took axles to an auto repair shop and they had a 50-ton press. Popped them right off. I pressed new bearings on and reused the same tone rings. DK plates are not going to warp.

I took my axles to an automotive machine shop and had the bearings pressed off and new bearings pressed on with the DK plates. When I put the old plates on a surface plate they were definitely warped. After only 25,000 miles. Bearings were good retainer plates were scored and warped.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rogue24
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png