Tuners: What are they and why we need them?

Reaction score
I found a FuelPak3 tuner (unistalled) in my trike trunk, I would like to know more about them. An saw a video on YouTube that made no sense to me. Why do you need a person that is a tuner to install that percise Fuel Pak 3 tuner. and why will it void all warranties if changed on a Harley Davidson. This inquiring mind wants to know.

Harley entered into a shady ( at best) consent decree with the EPA

Pretty much giving HD the right to cancel a power train warranty on all Harley's following the launch of the M8 platform, if you have a related engine issue and go to a HD dealer for service they will hook your bike/ trike to a scanner and upload the info to corporate HD

If you have an unapproved fueling device your VIN will be flagged and power train warranty will be voided

The V& H fuel oak is an OK fueler but if you have any factory or HD extended warranty, it will be void using this or any non HD tuner

You can read the consent decree here

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2017-12/documents/harleydavidson-

cd.pdf

I see your trike is a 14 model twin cam, the decree does not affect your bike, It does need a tuner, TC engines are way to lean ( hot running ) from the factory

Tuner

Thanks Jack, How do you find the right person to install the tuner I saw the Dr. Harley video on YouTube. He was adement that only a Fuel Pak3 tech could install them WHY?

Thanks Jack, How do you find the right person to install the tuner I saw the Dr. Harley video on YouTube. He was adement that only a Fuel Pak3 tech could install them WHY?

Here,

https://www.fuelpakfi.com/downloads.html

But first, did the Fuel Pak come with the bike when you bought it?

I would give V and H a call@

fuelstatement.png

Technical Support: (562) 921-0071

When I purchased my TG, it also had a FP3 sitting in the trunk. At the time of purchase, I also purchased the HD extended warranty. I connected the tuner, installed the app on my phone and was able to use it. If I ever bring the TG to the dealership, I remove the FP3. They have never refused to service the trike under warranty for the few issues so far.

When I purchased my TG, it also had a FP3 sitting in the trunk. At the time of purchase, I also purchased the HD extended warranty. I connected the tuner, installed the app on my phone and was able to use it. If I ever bring the TG to the dealership, I remove the FP3. They have never refused to service the trike under warranty for the few issues so far.

You should not have any problems with your tuner, HD started the crack down after the M8 made its debut (2017 models and on)

The consent decree they entered into ( via the EPA) gave Harley the power to void the power train warranty

You were forced to use HD tuner only if you wanted to keep your warranty

Have you tried hooking up the fuel pak?

It would be interesting to see if it would display any usable info

There are no big secrets to hooking up and enabling a fuel pak, there are many good YouTube videos on how to do it, there is also tech help @ V& H

Fuelpak Customer Service, contact them for more info below

For technical support and troubleshooting your Fuelpak product please call (562) 921-0071 or email tech@fuelpakfi.com.

Doc Harley is very good at what he knows and does, IMO he is wrong on this

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png