2-wheel vs 3-wheel Crash Statistics?

TurkeyRun

5+ Posts
May 7, 2023
Central California, USA
Hey All

I've been scouring the inter webs looking for crash data comparing 2-wheel vs 3-wheel motorcycle crash statistics. Haven't been able to find same.

It seems that the government produced reports lump 2&3 wheels together. The non-government articles are generally from law firms, draw no conclusions, and are riddled with "click here to get a lawyer" links.

Anybody got anything?

TIA!

Hey All

I've been scouring the inter webs looking for crash data comparing 2-wheel vs 3-wheel motorcycle crash statistics. Haven't been able to find same.

It seems that the government produced reports lump 2&3 wheels together. The non-government articles are generally from law firms, draw no conclusions, and are riddled with "click here to get a lawyer" links.

Anybody got anything?

TIA!

I would think that with probability a hundred more two wheelers out there for every trike out there…..You would be comparing Apples to Oranges….That said even if it was one to one Trikes would be involved in less accidents….Remember many 2 wheel accidents are low / high siders….And not negotiating a sharp curve…

I would think that with probability a hundred more two wheelers out there for every trike out there…..You would be comparing Apples to Oranges….That said even if it was one to one Trikes would be involved in less accidents….Remember many 2 wheel accidents are low / high siders….And not negotiating a sharp curve…

Yea, I get it why the studies don't separate 2-wheel vs 3-wheel, like.... we're a minority.

Reason I ask, I'm a part-time basic riding instructor, and as of a couple months ago, added a TriGlide to the stable. Going after my 3-wheel instructor cert next week. Nothing in our curriculum talks about 2 vs 3 wheel safety statistics. We quote statistics all the time "38 times more dangerous than a car", "80% chance of getting injured in a collision compared to 20% in a car", "left turning vehicles involved in 20% of motorcycle fatalities" etc. It's just it would be cool to know 2-wheel vs 3-wheel :shrug

Yea, I get it why the studies don't separate 2-wheel vs 3-wheel, like.... we're a minority.

Reason I ask, I'm a part-time basic riding instructor, and as of a couple months ago, added a TriGlide to the stable. Going after my 3-wheel instructor cert next week. Nothing in our curriculum talks about 2 vs 3 wheel safety statistics. We quote statistics all the time "38 times more dangerous than a car", "80% chance of getting injured in a collision compared to 20% in a car", "left turning vehicles involved in 20% of motorcycle fatalities" etc. It's just it would be cool to know 2-wheel vs 3-wheel :shrug

Just my opinion/thoughts/statistics from riding 2 Wheelers since the 60’s…I crashed one..And dropped two….And had I been on a Trike those 3 times none of that would have happened…..So in those 3 cases Trikes are 100% Safer than 2 Wheelers….

3 wheel cert

Curious, does CA require a Trike endorsement now?

:laugh:

Curious, does CA require a Trike endorsement now?

:laugh:

They do not. Just the regular Class C (car license) works in the People's Republic of California.

I need to demonstrate "ongoing education and development" to maintain my instructor licensing. So, last cycle (2-years) I got certified to teach the Intermediate Riding Clinic.

With my hip replacement in February (doing fine, thanks!) I got all Oxy-induced and realized it's probably inevitable... bought a trike, and thought "cool! I get certified to teach that class, learn something, and meet my education requirement for this licensing period!"

So, that' how this all came about.

My experience has been since riding trikes and bikes both for over 25 years is. I havent had one incident of someone making a left turn in front of me. Where I had to hit the brakes hard on a trike . On a 2 wheeler its been almost a weekly occurrence always

I attribute that to the trike having a bigger "profile" or a larger point of reference for drivers to actually being able to "see" how close/fast I am

Statistically it might be my imagination :Shrug:

But there are not any statistics on trike accidents to prove me wrong :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png