Goldwing Roadsmith rear brake

Grandpot

20+ Posts
Aug 21, 2023
Fort Mill, South Carolina
I recently purchased a 2002 Goldwing with a Roadsmith conversion. I am the third owner so I don't have all the history. The Roadsmith conversion has an early serial number that places the Roadsmith near 2002.

I need to press very hard on the brake pedal to get any real action. I mean REALLY HARD. I've looked at the calipers and pads, everything seems good. Before I start any deep troubleshooting, I would like to know if this is anywhere near normal for this vintage setup.

What are your experiences?

Regards,

Keith

How does the brake fluid look?

If it is old, there could be sludge in the cylinder, also plugging the port, this happens whit the age of fluid and gasses developing , this turns to water build up, then corrosive sludge

Try removing as much old fluid as possible, then use Q tips or a clean rag to wipe the bottom of the master, have a close look for sludge

Bleed the system with new fluid and give it a try

relink the rear brakes

Roadsmith sell a kit to relink the rear brakes that were disabled with pre 2016 builds. I purchased a kit and installed it this year for mine.It has made a world of difference on mine the spongy petal is gone and the bike stops quickly now.

Honda had a "master cylinder" problem.............. May be repaired under warrantee.

Check first!

Ronnie

9/29/23

Thanks for the advice. I did a recall check by VIN. All of mine are up to date. The recall for the brake was for the rear brake dragging. My issue is the opposite, it's taking a lot of pressure for braking.

Regards,

Keith

Possible recall for you!

Might look up NHTSA Recall: 15V-700 for certain model yr. 2001-2015. Just bought 2010 GL1800 Motortrike and it is covered for the fix. My Dealer is ordering the parts as we speak. :)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png