Florida Seems to be the Place!

Pablo777

Oct 24, 2023
SC
Florida People,

Hello! Im a newbie looking to buy my first trike so your patience please.

As I've been doing my research I’ve noticed that, for whatever reason, FL and TX seem to have…might have…..could have….slightly better selections/prices across a good number of trike brands (used).

Im looking at a used trike for just around town (no touring or extensive road trips). I’m not asking you to personally recommend any places but I would ask if you know of any sources there in FL that I might want to consider as I shop. I’m a little leery of just buying something blind off of Cycletrader in Orlando or something like that.

Im a cheapskate and don’t want to sell the farm for my first trike. If I like it then I’ll consider a more significant investment. Late model with reasonable miles. Primary travel is in town with a 50 mile or so radius. I can get to Florida if something is worth looking at.

I’d be grateful for any feedback. Thank you all so very much!

Paul

Do you know what motorcycle brand you want?

Then the Trike brand?

BrokenBackJack,

I have no idea. I rode motorcycles growing up but never owned one. I’m retired now and we want to downsize to one primary car (SUV). I’ve drove my current Toyota Tacoma for almost 20 years. Don’t want to spend the $$$ on another truck in this economy. I wanted a regular bike but my wife swears I’ll fall over and get killed. Sooo, a trike. I find that a Spyder is too expensive on annual maintenance so that’s out. I guess I’m looking for a bargain trike to see if it will work for me. We’re not into touring or long rides my wife would never get on it with me driving. It would just be for me around town and short trips. So what really matters to me are the potential annual maintenance costs and the initial price tag. If I get a trike and it works I’ll invest more in a second trike.

Any advice?

I will recommend a Honda Goldwing starting with 2006 and up.

The early 2000's had frame welding problems and the overheating problem was solved in 2006, which some overheated in the 20-30 mph or as they called it parade mode.

For a trike, I wouldn't have one without independent rear suspension. Good trike models with different brands. We prefer California Side Car but there are other good brands out there too.

Lots of low mileage Trikes, just look around and hopefully you can find someone that knows Goldwings and Trikes to look things over before you purchase it.

Good luck and keep us updated!

BrokenBackJack,

I have no idea. I rode motorcycles growing up but never owned one. I’m retired now and we want to downsize to one primary car (SUV). I’ve drove my current Toyota Tacoma for almost 20 years. Don’t want to spend the $$$ on another truck in this economy. I wanted a regular bike but my wife swears I’ll fall over and get killed. Sooo, a trike. I find that a Spyder is too expensive on annual maintenance so that’s out. I guess I’m looking for a bargain trike to see if it will work for me. We’re not into touring or long rides my wife would never get on it with me driving. It would just be for me around town and short trips. So what really matters to me are the potential annual maintenance costs and the initial price tag. If I get a trike and it works I’ll invest more in a second trike.

Any advice?

If you think the spider is expensive on maintenance, wait till you buy-a’ Bargain Trike..😳

Thanks! More Smarter Now

I will recommend a Honda Goldwing starting with 2006 and up.

The early 2000's had frame welding problems and the overheating problem was solved in 2006, which some overheated in the 20-30 mph or as they called it parade mode.

For a trike, I wouldn't have one without independent rear suspension. Good trike models with different brands. We prefer California Side Car but there are other good brands out there too.

Lots of low mileage Trikes, just look around and hopefully you can find someone that knows Goldwings and Trikes to look things over before you purchase it.

Good luck and keep us updated!

BBJ,

Thanks! I have the Honda GW on the list BUT I didn’t know about your suspension and frame issues so that’ll make me smarter.

I’m looking at this (below) right now but not sure about the suspension. This is EXACTLY what I think I need and at the right mileage and price point UNLESS you have some info on this model.

it’s in PA not FL :(.

https://ertlepowersports.com/Motorc...ville-PA-5bebfcd5-fed0-4537-8490-b02900cef96d

Thanks!

Paul

Good Eye!!

There's a nice Honda VTX1800 from 2004 and that can be used for commuting. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2004-Honda-VTX+1800S+SPEC+2-5028118139

Trike Lady,

you know, that’s crazy. I’ve been watching that one and it’s just outside my price point but at some point here soon I’m gonna have to just write the check. I could see this Honda as a purchase…..definitely.

I’m looking here as well (you know these machines)?

https://ertlepowersports.com/Motorc...ville-PA-5bebfcd5-fed0-4537-8490-b02900cef96d

Yep!

If you think the spider is expensive on maintenance, wait till you buy-a’ Bargain Trike..😳

Yep, I know. I could go in 30K (or more up front) and then not really get into riding the thing as much as I think I would and be stuck with trying to claw some of my money back OR I can go in low and eat some maintenance/repair costs and see if it’s a good fit. I can walk away from that card game and get some sleep. Either way I could lose money. I guess part of the fun is just seeing how it all works out.

Thanks for the reminder, though. Don’t want to step over a dollar to pick up a dime. :)

Puny Engine

The Sportster engine one is going to be pretty under powered IMO, it has the 883 engine

Jack,

I really appreciate all the input BEFORE I write the check. A friend of mine told me the same thing. So, a couple of Gold Wings (one in SC and another in FL) are looking better with the 1800. I guess I need to consider the extra weight as well with the smaller engine.

Again, all very helpful and thanks.

Paul

Another thing to think about, do you want air cooled or water cooled?:confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe check with Papa Zook, who runs this Forum and see if he has anything???? ThumbUp

Jack,

I really appreciate all the input BEFORE I write the check. A friend of mine told me the same thing. So, a couple of Gold Wings (one in SC and another in FL) are looking better with the 1800. I guess I need to consider the extra weight as well with the smaller engine.

Again, all very helpful and thanks.

Paul

Paul, give Adamec H D a call, ask for Bob Sofford, tell him I sent you;)

(904) 493-1931

A sportster trike is more of a neighborhood commuter or a good beginner trike. I wouldn't say it would be something for a serious individual. 883, no you'd need a minimum of a 1200. Keep looking the right trike is out there for you. No storage space and you'd need to add a trunk

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png