2014 asking for pin #

Gvette85

5+ Posts
Oct 2, 2022
Florence
My 2014 started asking for pin # to start. I can start it no problem with pin #,both key fobs have new batteries,security antenna not damaged and ohms out ok.Is there any way to check further without break out box? Any ideas appreciated.Thanks in advance.

I thought someone would have a suggestion by now. I’ve got nothing. I’m sure glad you knew your pin, though. When you get it figured out, be sure to post your solution. Good luck!

My 2014 started asking for pin # to start. I can start it no problem with pin #,both key fobs have new batteries,security antenna not damaged and ohms out ok.Is there any way to check further without break out box? Any ideas appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Glad you know the PIN, without it, it can get expensive.

For others, that don't know their PIN, the following video may be useful-

Kevin

I have never had to do this but I believe the key fob can be tested at the local parts store and if it test good can the bike or fob be reprogrammed?

Have you checked the replacement batteries voltage with a meter? I’ve seen new batteries not have full voltage.

Glenn…. I always wondered what would happen if for some reason both of my PODS wouldn’t work because it’s one pain in the neck to put the code in every time you want to start the Trike if you find out what the problem is, please don’t hesitate to let everybody know you’ll help a lot of people out thank you ..

Fob Battery

I would try a different battery in one of the fobs and also make sure the battery is in correctly. Bend the metal tabs to make sure they are contacting the battery good

On the 2014 I had I found the ground just behind the motor was painted over and had not been cleaned off before they installed the ground wire, I cleaned and reinstalled the wire which made a difference in the cranking of the engine.

I would suspect the security antenna, I have changed an antenna that the wire were broke inside the insulation. You can also try reprogramming your FOBs

How do you reprogram (change) PIN?

My 17 won't show me the pin by doing this. I tried it with the key in the ignition position and the accessory position and nothing. With the kill switch in the off position I turn the ignition, turn the kill switch to run. Then cycle the kill switch twice, then cycle the left turn signal twice then press the right once. Nope nada, just the mileage shows up. ???

How do you reprogram (change) PIN?

We did not cover that in this video. It is in your manual...you don't need the big manual that is now costing over $100...it is in the little manual that comes with the bike.

Harley has changed the procedure a few times over the years, and it can be different for different model bikes, so look in your manual, you will find it.

Here is a photo of how to change the pin, from the little manual, that came with my 2019 Tri Glide. It can be different for different years and models.

Change%20PIN.jpg

Kevin

- - - Updated - - -

My 17 won't show me the pin by doing this. I tried it with the key in the ignition position and the accessory position and nothing. With the kill switch in the off position I turn the ignition, turn the kill switch to run. Then cycle the kill switch twice, then cycle the left turn signal twice then press the right once. Nope nada, just the mileage shows up. ???

Two things:

1. Sometimes you need to push the buttons faster to get it to work...leaving too long of a time between pushing the next button will not work.

2. Harley has changed the procedure a few times over the years, and it can be different for different model bikes, so look in your manual, you will find it.

Kevin

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lean Machine
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png