RS HTS 1800 Diff oil fill location

rhino65

250+ Posts
Reaction score
I found the drain plug but on my new HTS 1800 there is an oval shaped hole in trailer hitch bracket with another hex plug lightly sprayed with red paint about 3" above drain plug. I assume this is fill plug? Seems to easy to access according to an old thread I read on here. Any help be appreciated.

I have seen many differentials in my days, the one marked RED is more than likely the fill hole, typically a drain hole is lower on the carrier

I hope this helps

Bottom hex bolt is drain. Got 22 oz. out of it. Called RS on refilling. They said to fill till runs out fill hole. Ive read that some of these diffs are a bear to get to fill plug. Mine is new kit with a slot cut in hitch bracket to gain EASY access to fill plug.

I know, being new it didn't need changed (3200 miles on it) but wanted to see what was all involved.

When it warms up a bit in my garage (18* degrees) as we speak, I'm going out to check my gear oil, fill and drain locations as well, thanks for the reminder and as long as i'm under there, I will also shoot a couple of pumps of grease, into those grease zerks as well...

I'm going to give Roadsmith a call, and ask them what weight gear fluid I need, as well as the location of the fill & drain plugs.....

My TRIKE installer will rape the live'n hel# out of me ($$$) (and I honestly don't trust him) what's so ever..... I made the mistake bringing my TRIKE to him, to do repairs that I could of honestly do myself, and I found that he ripped me off big time... My Trike was in for new back tires and I thought what the heck, I'll have him change my oil (something that I have been doing for years myself) BUT before I did it (I put a magic marker line on the back of my oil filter ...............Well sure enough, he charged me ($$$) for the oil change ..BUT DID NOT REPLACE THAT FILTER/I STILL HAD THE M/MARKER line... I questioned him and he said that he did indeed change the filter and oil....... HE LIED!! I'll never bring anything to him again, this was the second time he claimed to fix something and never did anything...........His lost!!!

Ronnie

2/20/24

When it warms up a bit in my garage (18* degrees) as we speak, I'm going out to check my gear oil, fill and drain locations as well, thanks for the reminder and as long as i'm under there, I will also shoot a couple of pumps of grease, into those grease zerks as well...

I'm going to give Roadsmith a call, and ask them what weight gear fluid I need, as well as the location of the fill & drain plugs.....

My TRIKE installer will rape the live'n hel# out of me ($$$) (and I honestly don't trust him) what's so ever..... I made the mistake bringing my TRIKE to him, to do repairs that I could of honestly do myself, and I found that he ripped me off big time... My Trike was in for new back tires and I thought what the heck, I'll have him change my oil (something that I have been doing for years myself) BUT before I did it (I put a magic marker line on the back of my oil filter ...............Well sure enough, he charged me ($$$) for the oil change ..BUT DID NOT REPLACE THAT FILTER/I STILL HAD THE M/MARKER line... I questioned him and he said that he did indeed change the filter and oil....... HE LIED!! I'll never bring anything to him again, this was the second time he claimed to fix something and never did anything...........His lost!!!

Ronnie

I can't remember for life of me the name of guy I talked to at RS but very nice. Thought it was kinda odd he asked me color of diff case. Caught me off guard a bit. I know I paused a few seconds to think. Lol. Just figured they were all grey.

Ronnie

I can't remember for life of me the name of guy I talked to at RS but very nice. Thought it was kinda odd he asked me color of diff case. Caught me off guard a bit. I know I paused a few seconds to think. Lol. Just figured they were all grey.

Differential Fluid = 80/90 hypoid gear oilUnder normal driving conditions you should check the differentialfluid by removing the fill/inspection plug.If your differential is black the fluid level should be one inch belowthe fill hole. If your differential is silver, it should be filled to the top fill plug

Bottom hex bolt is drain. Got 22 oz. out of it. Called RS on refilling. They said to fill till runs out fill hole. Ive read that some of these diffs are a bear to get to fill plug. Mine is new kit with a slot cut in hitch bracket to gain EASY access to fill plug.

I know, being new it didn't need changed (3200 miles on it) but wanted to see what was all involved.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like they improved the system. Mine is a 2006 and requires a little ceremony, but it isn't difficult.

Differential Fluid = 80/90 hypoid gear oilUnder normal driving conditions you should check the differentialfluid by removing the fill/inspection plug.If your differential is black the fluid level should be one inch belowthe fill hole. If your differential is silver, it should be filled to the top fill plug

Thank you sir, (good info to know) here, again once it warms up just a bit, I'm going to crawl under the TRIKE, and check out the gear plugs, and replace that oil.. My TRIKE is all ready up on jacks so all I have to do is to get down (THAT'S THE HARD PART ..lol) AND look for the pluggs..........................

JUST A REMINDER TO ALL THAT IS PLANNING ON DOING THIS JOB YOURSELF: Besure to place a wiretie on your front break lever, so your trike will not move while your under there...OR place a block in front of front tire (or "both") just to be certain...

Ronnie

2/25/24

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miner
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png