What's so great about VW trikes?

Tritek

10+ Posts
Reaction score
I am curious. I see some pretty interesting VW trikes. To me they are like the cool, strange uncle (that is kinda weird and maybe drinks too much occasionally). They also remind me of the 70s, since most of them appear to be from then. And I did love the 70s.

Tell me why you chose a VW trike over a Harley or Gold Wing or whatever.

What is it like maintaining a VW motor and keeping it running / tuned?

What is it like having a one-of-a-kind trike and not having anybody else know what the hell bolt you need to tighten?

And please feel free to SHOW me why you decided on a VW trike with a pic of your ride. And maybe its' history and even what it cost you (if you don't mind).

Thanks

I originally built my VW because I ended up with an extra Beetle and Big Daddy Roth was a huge influence. It was also the least expensive way to go. That was 1984. I sold it and then years later bought it back.

I've had to do very little as far as maintenance. I ran a points ignition for a long time then went electronic with no problems with either. A pivot pin worked it's way out on the fuel pump and I put new gaskets in the engine after 15 years of use. That's about it. My engine is basically stock so not much strain on it.

A one of a kind trike is a lot like owning a Ural. There is a thing called UDF, Ural delay facter. Anytime you stop someone is going to talk to you but that is part of the fun of owning one. Also if you built it you can then fix anything that breaks.

If you scroll down to "4th generation of my trike" in this thread I give a little history of it towards the end.

Through the years there have been various VW and other home-built trike builds presented on TrikeTalk.

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/forums/240-VW-Powered-Trikes

https://www.triketalk.com/forum/forums/45-Home-Built-Trikes

I have looked at this website occasionally through the years and found that they seem to have more VW-type trikes associated with them. Took a look today and except for a few pics it looks like you need to sign up with them to be able to peruse their website. Used to, without joining, one could click on a gallery of photos and see all kinds of VW-type and home-built trikes, as well as pics of various past events they hold.

https://www.viethconsulting.com/photo_album/gallery_index.php?org_id=BTWI

One guy has a VW trike?

Chris Not a lot of interest in the VW trike anymore. It's been a long while since the VW factory parts were easily available. Also unless your very mechanically inclined finding a knowledgeable mechanic is hard.

With the introduction of all the conversions and factory builds most people find it easier just go that route. We do have a few members that have some but not many.

That all being said I've had VW's in the past and they are very easy to maintain. The old stock engine didn't even have an oil filter. It was a screen trap. The spark plugs are easy to get at and the points are right there also easy.

The factory motors are solid, but they can wear the bore out fairly quickly. Having to change jugs and pistons at 40 to 50k miles is not unusual. Getting aftermarket engines and transmission are available but can get expensive compared to stock which are hard to find.

Because the trike is so light the factory motors provide adequate power. Mr. Porsche designed a very simple machine in the "PEOPLES CAR" It does make for a nice trike. You just need to know that working on it will be your job. It's not difficult and at one time there were books called "VW FOR DUMMIES" or something like that.

Post a question someone will answer it.

Thanks for the replies. I did think there were more active VW guys but I can see how they are fading away. Sometimes I feel that way myself... :laugh:

We are fading away...

Mostly due to age, cost, & parts availability. I wanted one for fifty years, finally pulled the trigger 4 years ago, not selling anytime soon, just too much fun! The fact that I can fix it is a big plus.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-12-18-48-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-12-18-48-17.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3270small (2).jpg
    IMG_3270small (2).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 69
Ok.

So back in the day vws were all over the place, dirt cheep, plenty of parts availability and simple to modify and/or use for other purposes.

There were several kit or body makers, but the styres style was by far the most common.

They were wider, longer and more of a reclined with back support than a motorcycle based trike. So they handled the bumps and were generally more comfortable....... and cheap.

Now a days they are more of a nostalgia thing and you have want one and put the work into it as parts and service are hard to get. There is still hot rod aftermarket parts available.... but they ain't cheap anymore.

Then there are the oddballs like me who just like to make stuff..... so my handmade trike is a bit different than normal. So if you like custom you can make anything you can dream up

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png