Help!! My side panels won't stay on!

Boscoporp

TOI - North Carolina
Jul 28, 2009
Mooresville NC
I have a 2003 GW Motor Trike and the side panels keep coming off when I ride at higher speeds. I have replaced all the gromets. I even went to a trike shop and they re-aligne the trike part to the motorcycle and it worked for a short time but then it started all over again. As a pre-cautionary measure i have a plastic zip tie looped thru the hole in vent in the rear of the panel so that i do not completely lose them.

Any ideas would be appreciated! i am considering drilling them????? They are very expensive to lose.

Go to either steve saunders gold wing forum or north american gold wing forum & ask RUDY about your problem. He also makes a kit of special straps to keep you from losing those pieces

Rudy is a great guy, and makes some neat products for GW's, (I've got his tethers and they work) but I think Boscoporp was wondering how to keep the tupperware on in the first place, not just how not to loose it when it does blow off. A few things I did or have heard about:

New grommets worked until they dried out a bit. It's counter-intuitive, but I was told to put a very light coat of vasaline on the grommets. The covers should still "pop" on, but the rubber won't dry out and shrink.

A freind had panels take a trip of thier own until he put a belly pan on. The pan keeps the air from getting trapped behind the plastic and blowing it off.
Also protects things under the trike from rocks and debris.

JB Weld and a file - reshape the lugs on the back of the panels to be more snug going through the grommets

Good Luck!

Thanks for the ideas. I already have the belly pan! Maybe the vaseline will work. I'm tired of messing around with this problem. I'm really seriosly thinking about drilling a hole towards the front and puting an attractive chrome wingnut type of holder in place. i have some small Goldwing metal shields about 1 inch in diameter that would look good!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rramo
Back