Clutch lever not touching the safety switch on my 21 Triike

Notgrownup

650+ Posts
Oct 27, 2021
Snow Hill NC USA
I have a 21 Tri Glide, I’ve changed the bars and everything seems to work fine, I was swapping the grips this morning and after I reassembled the clutch side, I noticed the lever doesn’t touch or push in the safety switch in the switch pack housing. It’s a cable clutch now and I know that you have to pull clutch in and press any brake to start it in gear. I’m wondering if yours is like that? Or is there a cap or something missing on mine that would make the lever depress the switch.

Attachments

• IMG_4350.jpg
    IMG_4350.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4351.jpg
    IMG_4351.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 8
I have a 21 Tri Glide, I’ve changed the bars and everything seems to work fine, I was swapping the grips this morning and after I reassembled the clutch side, I noticed the lever doesn’t touch or push in the safety switch in the switch pack housing. It’s a cable clutch now and I know that you have to pull clutch in and press any brake to start it in gear. I’m wondering if yours is like that? Or is there a cap or something missing on mine that would make the lever depress the switch.

Very common problem. If the new grips are a little thicker than the originals, and that will stop the engagement of the switch..

Just to clarify,..” If” the new grips are just a little thicker than the stock grips that difference will not let the lever,fully engage the safety switch..

I don’t believe there is any difference in the switch function, whether it is hydraulic or cable. When you squeeze the lever, the plunger should be fully extended.When you release the lever, the plunger retracts.

When the lever is squeezed the trike should start. When lever is released you should be able to set your cruise control. Squeeze the lever and cruise should drop out.

Do both functions work properly?

I don’t believe there is any difference in the switch function, whether it is hydraulic or cable. When you squeeze the lever, the plunger should be fully extended.When you release the lever, the plunger retracts.

When the lever is squeezed the trike should start. When lever is released you should be able to set your cruise control. Squeeze the lever and cruise should drop out.

Do both functions work properly?

I will have to check, it’s on jacks now

Search for a thread titled “A quick and easy cruise control diagnostic check”. You can check all the switches without even starting your trike.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gdow5150

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gdow5150
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png