Emergancy fuel

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
This may have been asked before, but has anyone actually used the canned fuel they sell at Lowes ect in their bike if they have ran out of gas. Was thinking of putting a gallon can in my trailer while traveling. Not the premix lol.

This may have been asked before, but has anyone actually used the canned fuel they sell at Lowes ect in their bike if they have ran out of gas. Was thinking of putting a gallon can in my trailer while traveling. Not the premix lol.

I have considered doing the same after a recommendation from Papa. I decided against it because of the price and the expiration date on the can. I am considering instead a [FONT=&quot]REDA Innovations Fuel Can RGC1001.

[/FONT]

it's a good question. I've been planning a trip of about 5,000 miles. Looking at maps though, i don't really see any stretches of road where I might have to go so far as to run out of fuel. I think our trikes are good for at least 200 miles per tank. I will start looking for gas when I'm at about 1/2 tank.

I would be nice for peace of mind though.

For me it comes down to time in the saddle. Even in my younger days I didn't mind taking a stretch after a couple of hours. Of course with the Trikes you could run 3/4 of the tank out in a couple of hours.

Not sure I have heard about the "canned fuel". I have considered buying a motorcycle fuel reserve bottle from Amazon. gas can.

This way, I can fill it if headed out on a trip. If not used, I can empty that gas in the tank when I got back home.

Canned Fuel

I don't know about the canned fuel from Lowes but I have seen plenty of bikes on the ALCAN highway with heavy plastic 1 - 1.5 gal containers strapped to their two wheelers. I 'd be worried about the thin metal can.

either way .. good luck and happy trails

rustyB

On rare occasions .....When i have to ride up to camp and leave my house at 5am, And i got lazy the night before and didn't fill the tank...I will take a full a plastic gal and half from my barn and carry it in the trunk.....(At that hour most gas stations are closed )....Peace of mind is the main reason....Never did have to use it....

Luke :13.6..... Tis heavily to not need it and Dows have it; Then to need it but Dow not have it....:crossing:......

Another approach...... I have a siphon hose and 1 gallon heavy plastic freezer bag that I carried with me on several bikes over the years. The siphon consists of a rubber bulb with long 1/4 inch clear plastic tubes coming out each side. In an emergency I could siphon fuel from another vehicle into the plastic bag and then pour it into the fuel tank. Never had to use it. But, it was very inexpensive, didn't weigh anything or take up any valuable storage space. Good luck..... Jim

Another approach...... I have a siphon hose and 1 gallon heavy plastic freezer bag that I carried with me on several bikes over the years. The siphon consists of a rubber bulb with long 1/4 inch clear plastic tubes coming out each side. In an emergency I could siphon fuel from another vehicle into the plastic bag and then pour it into the fuel tank. Never had to use it. But, it was very inexpensive, didn't weigh anything or take up any valuable storage space. Good luck..... Jim

Jim - this does indeed seem very inexpensive. Not sure I would try to depend on a "plastic bag" method. Those small motorcycle emergency gas bottles are small - don't hold a lot but I believe can be effective. If you needed a little extra gas, you could indeed siphon into that can.

I would worry that the plastic bag would drop gas all over my tank and bike. But, hey - if it works for you - then use it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoolmanJC

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoolmanJC
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png