Got the popping fixed!!!!!!!

Mar 16, 2011
Suffolk, Va, USA
Ok...hopefully this is the last time I will ever have o post about this annoying issue.....took the bike into a mechanic last week and here is what he found....first the exhaust had the old gaskets still in place from when it was changed over to the drag pipes, neither one was sealing properly, the exhaust wasn't even mounted to the frame, just kinda hanging out there. Carb boots were loose, one of the breather hoses that connect to the intake was disconnected, the carbs were slightly dirty with the low idle jet partially blocked and they were not in sync.....so all of that has been repaired, carbs cleaned and synched....new plugs all around, oil and filter change, chain adjusted and lubed....pipes mounted properly with new gaskets.....and poof.....the backfiring and popping is GONE!!!! This bike runs like the wind now....oh yea...it already had a stage 1 kit in it......

Anyway...when all was said and done, it cost me $425.00 parts and labor....so all-in-all...not bad.....

Thanx for all the help with this....but I know you are all relieved that I am done with that problem!

Here it comes...wait for it...wait for it.....my HAPPY DANCE!!:pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper:

Anita:pepper:

Joan....I actually found this guy right here in Suffolk. He is retired and now works on bikes in his garage. He has got quite the setup I might add. He was very good to me and I will use him for all my bike needs. I seem to remember don't you live here in or around Suffolk? If so...I can give you his name and number...promise he will do you a good job.

I am well pleased that's for sure....bike runs better than new.

Anita :Trike1:

Anita, yes, I live here in Suffolk. Pretty close to you I think. We need to ride sometime!
My trike is sitting in the garage right now, waiting on a part from CA. Sucks big time, because the weather has been gorgeous!

Excellent and CONGRATS! You clearly had more than one issue going on, but for someone to re-use old exhaust gaskets on new pipes isn't penny-wise :no: it's penny-foolish :yes:

The important thing is that you've got it sorted out and props to both you and your new-found mechanic. Right on!

Shouldn't be an issue for you anymore and thought that you had checked the exhausts for tightness (altho' bad exhaust gaskets would have been hidden), but one check for exhaust leaks is to put 1 teaspoon of oil in each spark plug well, re-install spark plugs and fire it up. If there's any exhaust leaks, the resulting smoke would show you where it's leaking from......won't hurt anything and burns off quickly......

Enjoy those trouble-free miles.........and do your "Happy Dance" to your heart's content, LMAO! Ride Safe..........

Thanx Ol'Grey for hanging in there with me....but the bike had many more issues than what I was suspecting.....anyway...it is fixed now and runs like a shot cat! I had no idea just how bad it was running until I got it back and see how good it is running! Wow what a difference.....but the best part of it is I found myself a mechanic that I can trust and does excellent work.....he put in way more hours than he charged me for that's for sure.....

Anyway.....my ride is purring like a kitten and the "rapture" didn't come on Saturday so I didn't waste my money on getting it fixed!

Happy Dancing my A$$ off back here on the East Coast! :pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper::pepper:

Thanx again....

Anita:AllGood:

CONGRATS on finding the Problem.....if I had a nickel for everytime I've asked..."You did remove the old exhaust gaskets before installin' new ones?", and get a totally bewildered stare.....:rolleyes:

A good mechanic or indie shop is worth their weight in gold. And now you've got the added benefit of being able to compare the before and after, plus your trike is running better than it has been for who knows how long, which is great!

Have experienced a similar dynamic with used bikes that seemed to be running just fine when I bought 'em, but after some fine tuning and finding some errors from the previous owner and correcting them, the enhanced performance was a very pleasant surprise :woohoo:

This just in: Camping has announced that the rapture wasn't supposed to be May 21st, but will happen on Oct. 21st. If one missed out on the opportunity a few days ago, here's a chance to make it right. Place a wager with Camping and his followers.......$100 bet to each and every one of them that the rapture won't happen as predicted. If they do get raptured, they won't have to pay up (and neither would the person offering the bet.....hehehe)......If they don't get raptured and have to pay up, one could buy a new trike of their choice........:Biker:

:pray: No rapture Oct. 21st. No rapture Oct. 21st :pray:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hankypanky55
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png