Progressive Fork Springs...soon to be my newest addition...

skuuter

10000+ Posts
Apr 23, 2010
Estill Springs, Tn, USA
I used to own a 2008 Black Gold Wing 1800, that a coupla' weeks ago it became the "Twin" Motor Trike to mine, Thanks to my Local Honda Dealer. I had already added a SUPER BRACE to it, but the next Owner added Progressive Fork Springs also, which are still in it.

My dealer insisted I ride it yesterday, and give my opinion on it......."WOW", just "WOW".....!!!!!

I searched out a favorite "Twisty", made a fairly slow shakedown run, then wicked, correct Term is "FLICKED" it through there at an aggressive clip...Since bein' involved (...up to my ears now...:D) in the Sport of Trikes, and riding a coupla' dozen variations, I have never ridden one with this quick, nor precise steering. To a Newbie Rider, this Trike could be very dangerously intimidating on extremely twisty, narrow roads, if not ridden VERY SLOWLY.

I could square off the corners very similarly to the way I ride Twisties aggressively on a Two Wheeler...Ride virtually up to the very start of a corner, roll partially out of the Throttle, turn in quickly, while reapplying the Throttle. In my opinion, "EXPERIENCED" Trikers that love to "Ride the Edge" on occasion, the SUPER BRACE, PROGRESSIVE FORK SPRING Combination is a Great Way to go...Steering Quickness/Turn-in, Total Amount of Handlebar Movement required to make a Turn is Greatly Enhanced. I also noticed a much better return (Less Shock) to full Spring extension over potholes and tall Bridge seams.

Needless to say, my PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS are on the way.....:rolleyes: ThumbUp :Biker:

Re: Progressive Fork Springs...soon to be my newest addition...

Is Any Other TRIKE TALK Member runnin' this SUPER BRACE / PROGRESSIVE SPRINGS Combination on Their Gold Wing 1800 Trike...if so, I would really welcome Your opinions and comments....THANKS.....ThumbUp

I do not have a 1800,I have a 96se 1500 with a 06 lehman kit.
I have the super brace from when it was a two wheeler, it did have progressive front springs from when it was a two wheeler,but I had them removed and stock springs put back in. With a four and a half degree rake the front end was just way to stiff for me.
:AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH:

The Progressive springs definitely stiffen the front end up a very noticeably. I installed a set with a GL1800 Hannigan conversion I just finished and it was a big change. Honestly its too stiff for my tastes too, but I dont live in the mountains nor ride nearly as aggressively as you do skuuter.

The Progressive springs definitely stiffen the front end up a very noticeably. I installed a set in a GL1800 Hannigan conversion I just completed and it was a big change. Honestly its too stiff for my tastes too, but I dont live in the mountains nor ride nearly as aggressively as you do skuuter.

Yeah, just cruisin' down the Highway, and over small bumps, it was definetly stiffer..."BUT"...I spend most of my time on the Mountain Twisties, and Very Twisty Backroads...I really think this might be the ticket for Trikers that ride these same kinds of Roads a lot, and find Their Trike "slightly slow responding" at times.....ThumbUp......besides, Straight Highways should only be used until You see a Great Little Twisty Turnoff...:D

I have a 2009 GL1800 and just upgraded the front end with Traxxion Springs & Traxxion Fork Brace. I had a Super Brace on my 1989 GL1500 CSC trike. I like the Traxxion, it is much better.

I have a 2009 GL1800 and just upgraded the front end with Traxxion Springs & Traxxion Fork Brace. I had a Super Brace on my 1989 GL1500 CSC trike. I like the Traxxion, it is much better.

CURIOUS: Exactly what do You like better, and did You only run the SUPER BRACE with stock springs....???...ThumbUp

Yep, I'm sold.....Much Quicker Steering, Softer "Deflection" over Pot Holes, Stiffer/Firmer Ride. This is definetly a "Performance Modification", not a "Comfy, Plush Ride Modification".....Looking for quicker corner turn-in, this just might be Your Mod. It also steers easier with less effort also, but still just as stable at High Speeds as the 4.5 Rake allows without the "twitchiness" of Rake Kits with more Rake. "Personally", unlike the SUPER BRACE, I still feel this would be an Addition better suited to Folks that ride Very Aggressively in Twisties on occasion, and/or Trikers with quite a bit of Trike Mileage under Their Belts......"Newbies" could always add this Later after putting on the Miles.....ThumbUp :wtg: :Biker:

Yep, I'm sold.....Much Quicker Steering, Softer "Deflection" over Pot Holes, Stiffer/Firmer Ride. This is definetly a "Performance Modification", not a "Comfy, Plush Ride Modification".....

Nope, need all the 'comfy, plush ride' mods that we can get . . . but good to know in case we drop 20 or 30 years . . . :Trike1:

Nope, need all the 'comfy, plush ride' mods that we can get . . . but good to know in case we drop 20 or 30 years . . . :Trike1:

.............:laugh::laugh::laugh:...Mitzie rode on it with me yesterday up, down, and across Monteagle Mountain, then a Lota' Backroad Twisties, and finally a 70-80 MPH I-24 Cruise...She actually thought it rode smoother, and She could definetly see the extra quickness/smoothness through the corners....I'm thoroughly impressed...the 4.5 Degree Rake Kit, SUPER BRACE, and Progressive Fork Springs have definetly made a Great Combo.....ThumbUp

Someone on one of these forums said 1.) there is no rake kit for an '86 GL1200, and 2.) I probably wouldn't like progressives on it.
Ok, that being said, I have been thinking super-brace for a couple of months now. What do you guys who have them think? Would the handling of my 1200 improve with JUST a super-brace? Especially turning?

I just had the traxxion spring upgrade with there fork brace. We have 1000 miles both long and short trips on it. Front end does ride a little more stiffer however the front end is without a question much tighter on the road. It steers much nicer on the curves and very nice on the highway. We had progressive before without a brace and the biggest problem we had was the gound clearence. We are now two inches higher in the front....no more scraping the ground.

I just had the traxxion spring upgrade with there fork brace. We have 1000 miles both long and short trips on it. Front end does ride a little more stiffer however the front end is without a question much tighter on the road. It steers much nicer on the curves and very nice on the highway. We had progressive before without a brace and the biggest problem we had was the gound clearence. We are now two inches higher in the front....no more scraping the ground.

Great to hear Your Results.....ThumbUp.....I'm running the Spacers that came with my Motor Trike 4.5 Degree Rake Kit with the Progressive Springs.....No "Droop" Issues.....ThumbUp

The issues on Progressive or stock (dual rate) springs versus Traxxion or Race Tech (single rate).

Dual rate sounds like a great idea. A softer rate for small bumps, a bigger rate for big ones. Thing is, on a heavy touring bike like the GL1800, most of the soft part of the rate on the Progressives is used up as the bike sags. Stock is worse, essentially all of the soft rate is used up. You also have to use more "preload" on the springs to get acceptable sag, which increases the very first part of the rate.

So, there's much to be said for just using single rate springs, to stop the bike from sagging too much, with less preload. It's a personal choice, but that's where I went.

The issues on Progressive or stock (dual rate) springs versus Traxxion or Race Tech (single rate).

Dual rate sounds like a great idea. A softer rate for small bumps, a bigger rate for big ones. Thing is, on a heavy touring bike like the GL1800, most of the soft part of the rate on the Progressives is used up as the bike sags. Stock is worse, essentially all of the soft rate is used up. You also have to use more "preload" on the springs to get acceptable sag, which increases the very first part of the rate.

So, there's much to be said for just using single rate springs, to stop the bike from sagging too much, with less preload. It's a personal choice, but that's where I went.

We tried running mine witout the Motor Trike Spacers and the Progressive Springs, and this held true, but I put the Spacers back that came with the Motor Trike Raked Trees under the lower part of the Springs, and the Ride Height went back to normal, ride is better, and the soft part isn't wasted as sag....I have fully useable "Variable Rate" Springs. As They compress more, the Ride gets Firmer.....The Springs we put in my Wing Trike also have the tapered coils on the tighter wound end (They gradually get smaller toward the end of the Spring) instead of being straight cut.....ThumbUp

I have fully useable "Variable Rate" Springs. As They compress more, the Ride gets Firmer.....ThumbUp
Sorry, the only thing "Progressive" about them is the name. If you look at them you'll see two distinct areas, one with the coils closely (and evenly) spaced, one with the coils farther apart, also evenly. As the spring compresses, it HAS to do so evenly. At some point the closely spaced coils come together, and the spring becomes effectively much shorter and stiffer. You start with the low rate of the whole spring, than eventually very rapidly transition to the higher rate. Here's a picture:

http://www.ipass.net/wb4iuy/bikeba.html

A true progressive spring would have the spacing gradually increase over the whole spring, so that "coil bind" occurs one coil at a time, and the spring slowly gets shorter. Like these:

Progressively Wound Motorcycle Fork and Shock Springs for high performance motorcycle suspension from EPM Performance Imports

Here's a really good explanation of the difference:

http://www.promecha.com.au/springs_advanced.htm

Sorry, the only thing "Progressive" about them is the name. If you look at them you'll see two distinct areas, one with the coils closely (and evenly) spaced, one with the coils farther apart, also evenly. As the spring compresses, it HAS to do so evenly. At some point the closely spaced coils come together, and the spring becomes effectively much shorter and stiffer. You start with the low rate of the whole spring, than eventually very rapidly transition to the higher rate. Here's a picture:

Progressive Variable Rate Front Suspension for the Kawasaki Vulcan VN800 Classic Motorcycle

A true progressive spring would have the spacing gradually increase over the whole spring, so that "coil bind" occurs one coil at a time, and the spring slowly gets shorter. Like these:

Progressively Wound Motorcycle Fork and Shock Springs for high performance motorcycle suspension from EPM Performance Imports

Here's a really good explanation of the difference:

http://www.promecha.com.au/springs_advanced.htm

Yeah we used to run Straight and/or Progressive Springs on Race Cars depending on the Track and what we were trying to achieve...and Yes, Progressive Technologies Motorcycle Springs have the tight wound section, and the straight longer section.....but, right now, mine work Great and are doing a Great job of Better Ride on the smooth stuff, and more control/less brake dive/less flutter on the really tight twisties when ridden excessively hard. I rigged Hyperpro Springs in one of my 600 Silver Wing Scooters along with Ohlins Rear Shocks once also. I've done a Lota' Various Suspension Mods over the Years on Everything from Race Cars, Motorcycles, and even R/C Cars...THANKS for the LINKS.....ThumbUp

If the progressive springs give a " firmer" ride, what can I do to get a softer, more plush ride. My 09 Goldwing/ CSC trike steers and performs great, but it is as stiff in the front as a lumber wagon. Almost knocks my helmet off when I go over a small bump in the road.

Any suggestions are appreciated !!

sgtbush207

That sounds more like your anti-dive is locked up. Get on the bike, lock up the front brake, and pump the front end up and down. It should move fairly easily. Now release the front brake and lock up the rear. Pump the front end again. If it now does not move all is well.... Quick and simple way to tell if that's working correctly.

Tire pressure can also cause that "hammering". From what I've been told, 41 or 42 lbs it the most you should run in the front tire of a GL1800..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png