Tri-glide heat problems with real numbers!

screwball

This past weekend wife and I rode our Tri-Glides to Yosemite National Park, about 300 miles from here. I had just installed an oil temperature gage in mine (09). One section of the trip would be the test, from the Santa Clarita Valley (1400 feet above sea level), over the Tejon Pass (6000 feet) into the San Joaquin Valley (1500 feet). On the trip there running 75 to 80 mph. Oil temp never got above 230*, BUT it was in the morning, air temp was low 80's. Return run we hit the 'Grape Vine' at 3:30 pm, air temp was 98*, 7% incline. On the long up hill running 70 mph the oil temp never went above 240*

I did hit 260* at a railroad crossing in Bakersfield when I let the bike idle for about 15 minutes waiting for a train to pass. Shut the bike down, it cooled off in about 5 minutes and stayed at or below 230* the rest of the trip.

My Tri-Glide has the stage 1 air and Rush slip ons. The dealer did a re-map of the injection after the installation. Nothing else has been done....

except Bling stuff. The bike is original California so it has the catalyst. I'm running HD Synthetic oil. I haven't put on any fans, fuel management gizmos, or aftermarket oil coolers. We live in the So Cal desert so temps over 100* are pretty common.

I have removed the lower fairings and installed a Linby crash bar that doubles as highway pegs. Right leg doesn't get nearly as hot as it used to. Will probably do the same to wife's '11 Tri-Glide. She likes the looks of the lowers, but the red marks on her calf may convince her she doesn't need them in the summer.

So, there it is. 230* to 260* oil temperature riding in 100* ambient air temp for sustained periods at 70mph... perfectly acceptable! My '08 E-Glide ran at about the same temps.

It sounds like you still have the cat. Get rid of the cat and your right foot will be cooler. We put on the Kuryakyn Perfect Storm. Once we got rid of all the EPA crap the trike ran as it should. :)

I have a 2008 Roadglide trike with a 117", Oil bud oil cooler and TTS mastertune. Riding in 90 to 100 degree temps and cruising at interstate highway speeds, my oil temp never exceeds 200 degrees @ 70 miles. So adding a TTS matertune program and a aftermarket oil cooler "can" help bring down the oil temps when riding. It also extends the life of your oil and engine not having to run so hot along with keeping you a little cooler

I also found temps similar Screwball. I will replace the head pipes and retune and see what happens then. It is 100 in KC today.

I have a 2008 Roadglide trike with a 117", Oil bud oil cooler and TTS mastertune. Riding in 90 to 100 degree temps and cruising at interstate highway speeds, my oil temp never exceeds 200 degrees @ 70 miles. So adding a TTS matertune program and a aftermarket oil cooler "can" help bring down the oil temps when riding. It also extends the life of your oil and engine not having to run so hot along with keeping you a little cooler

:Agree: A good tune and the right oil cooler will always extend the engine and oil life. I've been in a major traffic jam in 95+ degree temps with my Triglide and never saw the oil temp go over 245. My 2 wheel 06 Ultra Classic which is 95" with 10.1 compression making 104hp 100 ft/lbs torque doesn't have a oil cooler on it right now and it won't go over 230 degrees, and then it takes a long time for it to even get that warm.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trvman
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png