Need help or no trike!

Ok here's the deal folks-
I flew from Pittsburg,Pa. to Birmingham,Al. last Tuesday and rode 935 miles back to northeast Ohio on my new (to me) 2006 Gl1800 with Lehman Monarch 11 kit. The ride was rougher than I expected but never having ridden a trike I had no comparison.
I have now ridden a few hundred miles with my wife on board and the ride is really messing up her back and insides to the point where if I can't figure out how to fix the problem we will be keeping our two wheel Gl1800 which we have ridden all over two countries without problem and selling the trike.
I have had the rear tire pressure set at 18lbs,20lbs,26lbs with shock preloads at 5,10,15,20, and 25. Front tire set at 39lbs. Nothing reduces substantially the bouncing and rocking on back roads which is a deal breaker.
We have ridden for near 40 years and have never been beat up like this.
Seems like you all have found a secret to smooth rides.Would y'all please share your vast knowledge of things trike ?
If I can't improve the ride the trike will sell! (And I like my trike)
Thanks

I have a 96se 1500 with a 06 lehman kit.
I run the back tires a 20lbs,the front tire at 40,since I have adjustible air shocks,just me,12lbs,two up depending on weight,20 to 40lbs.
Another thing,do you have a rake kit on it,also do you have progressive springs in the front forks,if so remove them and put in stock springs with new oil,will make a big diffrence.
Another thing because lehmans have a strait axel they will ride a little rougher then a stock two wheeler,but with some playing around with adjustments you can get it to ride where you like it.
Good luck.
:Trike1::Trike1::Trike1:

Deadeye, definitely check to see if you have a rake kit on the trike! That should be a priority. I don't ride a Goldwing, but from all accounts, it should turn out to be a very comfortable ride for both you and your wife once you get everything adjusted.
Don't give up -- others with GW experience will share pointers with you :)

Did you get it off the original owner?
If so can you get ahold of him and find out if it has progressive springs in the front forks.
Since I do not own a 1800 I can not give you exat in formation. I would start out at the lowest setting on your 1800s pre load,also you did not say what your total weight was,if it is on the heavey side you may be bottoming out.
You need to post your weight so some of the people with 1800 trikes have a better idea as what to tell you.
:Trike1::Trike1::Trike1::Trike1:

Take it to a trike dealer closer to you and have it cheked out,our motor trike
was rough ride when we first had it built & the person that set it up made
some mistakes.After taking it to someone that knew what they were doing
it rides great.:):wtg:

Somewhere I read about an adjustment to the coil over shock in the Lehman kit usually set at midrange by an installer. I did not even know there was any adjustment. I took a good look underneath and discovered the coil set at the tightest preload. I loosened the spring preload by 2 notches and presto!!,the ride smoothed out!
Thanks to all for your great suggestions.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png