shakey front end

dirtdobber

Gone But Never Forgotten
Jul 8, 2011
sand mountain, AL
shakey front end, update

Up to 68 mph the trike is solid and free of vibrations. From 69 mph to 79 mph the front end does some serious shaking. At 80 mph is smooths out. Windshield/mirrors/dash are doing some serious dancing.
This is not the normal head bearing type of problem, it's different.
I have 788 miles. I have ride 65 mph and under until today, speed limit.
I am think a bad front tire. I will be installing dyna beads in the morning and see if this helps but in the man time, any ideas.

dd

Last edited:
I would doubt that the out of round is the problem. I would say any tire, even new, that you try to measure for being round you would not get a perfect measurement. The 1/32-1/16 is next to nothing. You have to consider also that at speed the tire circumference grows likely changing your measurements. My thinking is that if it was out of round enough to cause problems that you would feel it at all speeds, especially slow speeds. If it were mine I would be checking the balance.

Hi dirdobber, I agree with Rowdy. In addition, there is one more thing you should check. The rear wheels/shafts. I had a bent (then broken) drive shaft on one side of the differential which caused a serious vibration of my mirrors etc. and I would have sworn that it was my front tire out of balance, however, it was a new tire with dynabeads for balancing. After the shaft broke and I replaced it the vibration was gone. Just a suggestion.... I hope it is simply the tire/wheel out of balance.

I am thinking in a different direction now, My wife and went shopping yesterday. going to the store the same thing with her as a passenger. Coming back with close to 75 lbs of food etc. It was in both trunks. It was smooth as silk at 70 mph.
I'm thinking either a bad axle or the rear suspension is not configured correctly.
Was you able to see the problem with the axle before it messed up?

Don't know if I will get anywhere but taking the trike back to the dealer tomorrow. Maybe they can figure it out before something breaks

for what it is worth, it could be the road, I know a section of I-81 Where mine shakes like a crack baby between 70-75, however it only does it on that section of road on other areas its smooth as silk, could be the road!

It does it on every type of road, some worse than others. It's never smooth at the mentioned speeds.
They called today and said the trike is ready. They did not comment on what they found or did.
Guess I will know tomorrow.

dd

They said they did not feel it, go figure.
I told them that's okay I have 3 years warranty on the trike and 7 years on the whole bike With a life time warranty on the complete drive train and engine.Yes I have it in writing. So if something is wrong it will break and you can fix it then. Yea your wright we will. Then we get into a conversation about oil changes on the GL1800. They lost. I like it someone tries to play me dumb. Maybe I am maybe I'm not but I won the conversation

After a short ride today, around 125 miles, I started to get a thumping feel from time to time coming home. Felt as if it is on the left side. I could feel it in the seat and when I put my hand down-if I was fast enough-I could feel it slightly in the body. when I got home I jacked up the left side and checked the hub. No movement, went to the right side, same thing. Then checked the right side axle. It had movement form side to side but nothing in or out. I thought hummm. Checked the left side no movement side to side or in and out. The movement appears to be where the axle goes into the rear gear box, possibly a bad bearing or axle. I also noticed that there were hard spots on each side when I rolled the tires.
I am calling CSC tomorrow and check where another warranty dealer may be within driving distance and then call my dealer.

I hate taking my bikes to a shop and then they want to play us dumb.

After talking to the dealer this morning they are going to contact CSC. They are now interested in my problem and getting it taken care of.

Their trike guy is off on Thursday-today.
The movement is in the joint just out from the rear final on the axle.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png