Parking brake,required or not???

The Wolf

TOI - Scotland
Mar 15, 2008
Livingston Scotland
Here is a question up for debate....
In your state do you require a parking brake to be fitted to your trike? Over in the UK we MUST have one fitted. I have a Motortrike and they only make one for the drum brakes and not the discs. My mate has the CSC and he can get one no problem for discs and had his fitted in Florida before shipping to Scotland.
If CSC can do it why can't Motortrike (I have spoken to them without a proper answer) I don't know if any the other makes have the parking brake system.
I await your reply to this question, many thanks. :)

Not required here. Put a clamp on the hand brake or some kind of a lever on the foot brake and that should work.

Not required in California.

I tried the velcro around the hand brake lever....waste of time.

If I have concerns I put the trike in reverse and leave. Doesn't move in any direction. Also good for theft proofing!

Parking in Rev is not a good Idea, at least on on a 1500. not sure if that is true with an 1800. I don't think it will hold it on a 1800 I may be wrong. Maybe something stronger than Velcro something Metal would work

If it is a 1500 and you park in REV it could end up costing you $800. What you are doing is holding the bike by the tiny rev gear against the starter drive , SNAP and the parts fall into the motor. Now you have no REV and there are gear parts in the motors, so the case has to be split and the engine needs to be removed to do it. :mad:

It is required in SC. The hydraulics on the brake system is not designed to hold the constant pressure so we do not recommend the velcro lever strap
kodiak:cool:
according to some people these kits can be no better and situations like this is why we say they can. If it did not have an emergency/park brake then was it built from the factory out of economic concerns and is maybe, there something else you do not know about in these kits that was also built out of these same concerns... This is suppose to make you think and not get mad...
kodiak:cool:

Kodiak, Question: If SC requires a parking brake, (which I think is a good idea) what are you doing to a HD/Champion creation for a parking brake? Mine did not come with one nor do I remember seeing an option to get one. I would like to do one on mine, but need to be pointed in the correct direction for parts. Thanks, Ted

I ride on 3 now and never use it any more.

I park it in gear so it can't roll.

Then when I get back on " I " Pull in the clutch and the Break and hit start !

Then were off and running.........................:Dorag:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png