Trike front wheel towing system

Reaction score
Trike front wheel towing system has anyone tried this or heard andthing about them. Can be seen at cycle-tow.com
Looking for a way to pull my Tri-Glide behind my camper.
Thanks

Unless there is a vertical pivot point that will let the tow bracket move in a horizontal plane, or a pivot axis that will let the whole bracket rotate as the vehicle turns, it will damage the front of a trike. This may not be clear, but it is an engineering truth. The one you cite there is stabilized and will not work with a trike without damage (and to a lesser degree will put stress on a bike).

Lots of guys who weld have mocked these units up and sold them, but they are not engineered properly for trikes. No doubt there are many trikers here who will back this up for me.

Look for a similar carriage that will let the bracket turn with the motorcycle as the vehicle turns, or, better yet, will pivot around a center axis in line with the towbar.

All my advice is money-back guaranteed.

Unless there is a vertical pivot point that will let the tow bracket move in a horizontal plane, or a pivot axis that will let the whole bracket rotate as the vehicle turns, it will damage the front of a trike. This may not be clear, but it is an engineering truth. The one you cite there is stabilized and will not work with a trike without damage (and to a lesser degree will put stress on a bike).

Lots of guys who weld have mocked these units up and sold them, but they are not engineered properly for trikes. No doubt there are many trikers here who will back this up for me.

Look for a similar carriage that will let the bracket turn with the motorcycle as the vehicle turns, or, better yet, will pivot around a center axis in line with the towbar.

All my advice is money-back guaranteed.

After reading through the entire page, doesn't this cover what you were talking about? This is copied from the web page directly (color added).

The Cycle-Tow for Trikes is the best Trike towing device on the market; small, light weight, reasonably priced, and multi functional. The Trike unit is designed with a swivel hinge joint that allows your Trike to be towed behind your vehicle like a traditional trailer, with no excess forces exerted on the front end. This unit can also be used for motorcycles, by inserting the steel pin into the swivel joint to restrict it's movement.

Each to thier own but after spending 30 grand on a trike i'd want mine to have more protection from road debris that that provides.

CRBandit,
Read? My daddy taught me I didn't have to read if it's got pictures. I agree with you - after looking through the website, I see that their trike model does have the pivot built in. I erred by just looking at the photos on the homepage.

And I stand by my warranty, so my check for the refund (for my flawed advice) is in the mail. Yep, I definitely don't want to dis any product(s) that's made for us trikers. As the kids say, My Bad.

I'd like to be able to tow my TG short distances with my 10-year old sedan (new struts, class 1 hitch). I wonder how much weight difference there would be as opposed to pulling a trailer with the TG on board. Just sent cycle-tow an email.
Some day I will have a new truck! :yes:

The one designated for trikes DOES seem to take the fork/wheel geometry into account, and the price is a lot cheaper than a trailer. My one concern is that we already have enough trouble with muffler tip clearance. Wouldn't this put the tips at or near the pavement?

I,ve used mine several times. As long as you do it properly its very easy and safe. I bought mine on the internet. Just cut a piece of 2x8x3ft for a ramp or use a car ramp and get help placing the wheel. then tie it down. For a long tow over several; hundred miles I'd thing about disconnecting the chain ,belt or shaft. short trips to dealer for break down its OK. curley

Does anyone other than me think some of the post on this board are a thinly veiled ad to try and sell a product?

We have all spent in excess of $30k on our trikes and if the truth be known will all the things we have changed and added to our individual trikes it is more likely $40k + ... why be cheap now and get a tow rig that does not protect your investment?

Just thinking?

Glenn

I'd like to be able to tow my TG short distances with my 10-year old sedan (new struts, class 1 hitch). I wonder how much weight difference there would be as opposed to pulling a trailer with the TG on board. Just sent cycle-tow an email.
Some day I will have a new truck! :yes:

Got a return on my email and they recommended using a class 3 hitch and ball. I guess that eliminates using a sedan to tow it. Better to safeguard a $40,000 investment anyway.

I'd guess the class 3 rating is necessary because of the tongue weight. I'd be curious how much down force the front of the trike exerts.

I've seen tons of literature about this tow dolly, looks like a good idea for short distances. I think if I were going to tow my trike anywhere I'd invest in a trailer. Get all 3 wheels off the ground. We towed the 2 wheelers on our trailer a couple of times, very convenient, and have set up the trailer for the trikes, just haven't needed to tow them yet.

good luck!

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png