Changing Triglide Transmission Sprocket

Thanks from my mechanic, this will be his first sprocket change on a trike. Ran copies of this thread and gave it to him. Keep up the good work I do appreciate your DIY info. chuck

Thanks from my mechanic, this will be his first sprocket change on a trike. Ran copies of this thread and gave it to him. Keep up the good work I do appreciate your DIY info. chuck

Glad you found the thread helpful, one great thing about this board is folks are willing to help. Once its complete your going to like the gearing change.

The speedometer will read an average of 5 mph faster than true speed. You can use either the TTS Mastertune, Dynojet Power Vision or a Dakota Digital makes a device that can be used to correct for the error.

DO NOT GO FOR THE DAKOTA DIGITAL CALIBRATOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had the 30T conversion done by my dealer and they installed the Dakota Digital calibrator, and if it is calibrated to the correct speed then the cruise control will not work.

The only time I use cruise control is on trips and do not have any planned in the near future so I had them set it to the correct speed because I don't want it clocking more miles than I am actually driving.

Thought I would save some money getting the Dakota Digital calibrator rather than buying a tuner, but now I'm out the price of the calibrator and still need to get a tuner so the darn thing can get set up right.

This STINKS!!:mad:

Just wanted to get this up here to prevent any one else from making the same mistake.

I definitely like the ability to take off the way it should from a stop. That was the first thing I told the wife the day we picked up the Tri Glide in Oct 08, that it was not geared right, had to give to much gas and slip the clutch on take off.

DO NOT GO FOR THE DAKOTA DIGITAL CALIBRATOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had the 30T conversion done by my dealer and they installed the Dakota Digital calibrator, and if it is calibrated to the correct speed then the cruise control will not work.

The only time I use cruise control is on trips and do not have any planned in the near future so I had them set it to the correct speed because I don't want it clocking more miles than I am actually driving.

Thought I would save some money getting the Dakota Digital calibrator rather than buying a tuner, but now I'm out the price of the calibrator and still need to get a tuner so the darn thing can get set up right.

This STINKS!!:mad:

Just wanted to get this up here to prevent any one else from making the same mistake.

I definitely like the ability to take off the way it should from a stop. That was the first thing I told the wife the day we picked up the Tri Glide in Oct 08, that it was not geared right, had to give to much gas and slip the clutch on take off.

Interesting information about the calibrator, you might want to get with the manufacturer and see what they have to say about it.

According to their web site:

"2007 and later Harley models require hardwiring into stock harness, speed correction can be made up to Harley's factory margin of error, typically 3-5%≈nsp;from actual speed reading. If correction is made beyond this, it may result in the loss of the 6th gear indicator light and cruise control."

So apparently the gear change exceeds the 3-5% limit.:Shrug:

the 2012s have a 30

The MOCO figured out that the computer design was incorrect after 2 years of people telling them about the problem, so they corrected it in 2011, but those of us with the 09 & 10 models are just stuck with having to deal with the issue.

To bad the MOCO went to the wonderful computer design method to save money. Back in the old days they built it, beat the heck out of it, found the problems, corrected them and then marketed it.

I just picked up my '09 after having the 30t sprocket installed. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like my bike lost 400 lbs. It accelerates so much easier. Mine was the first change my dealership has made and I don't think he was aware of the difference between the 09's/10's and the newer models.
He said it figures though "Harley's definition of R&D is release then develop".
With the promise of 5 buck a gallon gas, I'll be commuting on this a lot.

I just picked up my '09 after having the 30t sprocket installed. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like my bike lost 400 lbs. It accelerates so much easier. Mine was the first change my dealership has made and I don't think he was aware of the difference between the 09's/10's and the newer models.
He said it figures though "Harley's definition of R&D is release then develop".
With the promise of 5 buck a gallon gas, I'll be commuting on this a lot.

Your dealer is right on the money when he said HD defines R&D as release then develop. They should boil in oil the folks who developed and tested these Triglides which came with the 32 tooth sprocket, the 30 tooth makes the trike what it should have been to begin with.

the 07 and 08 bikes have the same stupid 32 tooth sprocket - its a common conversion to put a tri glide sprocket on. in fact the 09 to 12 guys that want to go super fast are doing it too.

however there is a belt issue on the bikes - several ways around it, the only good ones involve modifying the swing arm and using the stock belt.

and - so far - the only good solution to the speedometer is tts... overkill for gearing but there you go.

to

the 07 and 08 bikes have the same stupid 32 tooth sprocket - its a common conversion to put a tri glide sprocket on. in fact the 09 to 12 guys that want to go super fast are doing it too.

however there is a belt issue on the bikes - several ways around it, the only good ones involve modifying the swing arm and using the stock belt.

and - so far - the only good solution to the speedometer is tts... overkill for gearing but there you go.

to

The ThunderMax tuner will also take care of all issues with the 32T to 30T conversion.

Mine has a 10 mph speed error when checked with my gps !!1 When my speedo reads 70 I am only doing 60 mph so I adjust by running by my gps and always figure I am safe !!! But of course i always know there is the 10 mph by the speedo !!! But remember im running a 30 tooth front sprocket and a 70 rear did away with the 66 it still didn't give me the punch I wanted...I geared it exactly like my 04 ultra was and I love it it runs like a two wheeler has all the punch you need and in 6th gear it is perfect !!!

just installed a speedohealer on a vtx 1300 job went easy and the speedo now is spot on.

White Knight 30 front 70 rear. Wow what a ratio that is. lots of low end but how is the MPG and the RPM at 70 MPH?

Like I said my 04 ultra classic was geared this way and I loved the low end it had !!! I always thought it needed a 6th gear so I went this way with my trike and boy is it great !!! To answer about the RPM at 70 MPH it is turning 3,000 just about where Harleys like to be !!!! Ps. check gearing for a 04 ultra classic and you will see this is a stock setup !!! Thanks for asking Gorilla !!! Oh there is a belt change involved also... It will need the 04 belt !!! But it is worth the time and money, makes a trike into a rocket with great cruising RPM on the road !!! My MPG is 37 !!! I run 2 up almost all the time !!! And heavily loaded !!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jojo jojo
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png