Changing Triglide Transmission Sprocket

was really curious because my Champion came with a 70 rear and with the 32 front my trike really runs well. Maybe some day the 30 front if I have to tear into that side. Ride safe

OK, guys, I need your expert technical advice. I have a 2008 FLSTF Softtail Fatboy with a Motortrike conversion. I am preparing to rebuild the transmission to install a Baker reverse kit. I will also change the drive pulley(s) and belt. Stock has 32 & 66 tooth pulleys and a 20mm-133tooth belt. I need to know what is the best ratio for the change.

I know I'll need to go with the 30tooth front pulley. Here's my questions:

1. If I change only the front pulley (to 30tooth), what belt do I need - go down one tooth?
2. How about also changing the rear pulley? I read here about some going to a 70 tooth rear. Is that recommended? If I do that what belt will I need?
3. What is the recommended way to correct the speedo with these changes?
4. Most cost effect source for buying these parts?

I've looked through the threads, and find discussions mentioning each of these, but not a comprehensive statement of the most effective solutions.
Thanks for any and all guidance.

OK, guys, I need your expert technical advice. I have a 2008 FLSTF Softtail Fatboy with a Motortrike conversion. I am preparing to rebuild the transmission to install a Baker reverse kit. I will also change the drive pulley(s) and belt. Stock has 32 & 66 tooth pulleys and a 20mm-133tooth belt. I need to know what is the best ratio for the change.

I know I'll need to go with the 30tooth front pulley. Here's my questions:

1. If I change only the front pulley (to 30tooth), what belt do I need - go down one tooth?
2. How about also changing the rear pulley? I read here about some going to a 70 tooth rear. Is that recommended? If I do that what belt will I need?
3. What is the recommended way to correct the speedo with these changes?
4. Most cost effect source for buying these parts?

I've looked through the threads, and find discussions mentioning each of these, but not a comprehensive statement of the most effective solutions.
Thanks for any and all guidance.

To install a 30 tooth with you current 66 tooth rear you would need PN 40074-07 which is the 132 tooth belt from HD. Going with the 30 tooth front will give you more bang than the 70 tooth rear with your 32 tooth front. Sourcing parts, I have bought a lot of parts from Lake Shore HD.

Correcting for speedometer has been hashed around pretty good in this thread.

I went to the 30 tooth front and the 70 rear I love it it is the same gearing had on my 04 ultra which was the stock gearing for that year !!! I always liked the way it was geared and always thought if this just had one more gear it would be perfect.. Walla changed and wow what a diff. I had to get the 04 belt for it but cant remember the number check with your local dealer and he can get it for ya...Only draw back you will have to use a speedo calibrator as mine is 10 MPH fast ....I just watch my GPS and after you ride it for a while you adjust yourself to the speed difference I didn't go with a calibrator as I didn't want the cruise issue !!!

To Msocko3 - thanks for the belt p/n. That's what I thought. Rule of thumb, change one belt tooth for every 2 teeth on the pulley(s). Now to get up my guts to tear my tranny down for the Baker Reverse kit.

Ok im getting ready to do the 30tooth conversion.
The question of the day is do I need a new belt?
2012 road glide with motor trike irs the gladiator.
I've. Heard yes and no which is it?

Doesn't yours already have the 30 tooth gear? TG's changed in '11, didn't all touring bikes change also?

I'd talk to Motortrike and see what they had to say.

I've wanted to know how these heavy trikes were getting off the line. Now I know just by reading the INFO on here. Sometimes its better not to ask and just read. WHEN I can get my 1st Trike. Depending on the yr. That will be the 1st thing I do to it. This site is awesome with all the info that all of you supply! Thanks Rick ThumbUp

I've wanted to know how these heavy trikes were getting off the line. Now I know just by reading the INFO on here. Sometimes its better not to ask and just read. WHEN I can get my 1st Trike. Depending on the yr. That will be the 1st thing I do to it. This site is awesome with all the info that all of you supply! Thanks Rick ThumbUp

If you get a 2011 and later you'll be ahead of the game because HD changed the transmission sprocket to a 30 tooth starting with the 2011 MY. The folks who have the 09 - 10 Triglide have the 32 tooth and IMO a disadvantage. When I swapped the 32 tooth to the 30 on both mine and my dads Triglides it was night and day difference, very much improved.

To get off the line you need off the line snatch and grab.

Stock TG clutch won't do it. Think upgrade and put the torque to the rear wheel.

Now here comes the... But

If you change a nut on a Harley you will have to change the bolt and washer along with it. (being cryptic)

If you change the clutch to a racing style clutch then the TQ not only hits the rear wheel but it hits the compensator and the crank when the compensator get's worn.

Domino effect one might say.

Excellent instructions and photos. Information exchanged cleared things up for me.<br />
<br />
Hopefully, the bank and I will own a Trike very soon.

Last edited:
Ive had 5 basket cases and got them all running but im not sure i would attempt this to technical for me the old harleys were so much easier to work on you done a great job with pics and technical commentary this site is great for information and advise

Ive had 5 basket cases and got them all running but im not sure i would attempt this to technical for me the old harleys were so much easier to work on you done a great job with pics and technical commentary this site is great for information and advise

Thank you, one of the things I'm a big believer in is the sharing of information and experience is what a good forum is all about. IMO Trike Talk is as good as it gets, the moderators, admin and members are tops in my book.

francis fuller I have a ultra 06 trike with a 5 speed. will this change my rpm alot

With the 06 it will rise your RPM, right now your final drive ratio is the same as a 30 tooth equipped triglide. If you wanted to do something else you could change the primary gear ratio from the present 3.15 to a 3.37, this will raise your rpm a couple hundred.

great article. i have another train of thought , why not change the engine sprocket instead? i don't know what all the sprocket specs are on tg's but on my 01 ultra they are 24/37 front 32/70 rear. as my figures come out my bike runs 3200rpm at 70 mph, with a 23 engine sprocket 3385rpm or with a 32 tranny sprocket 3400 rpm, not much dif and a whole lot less work. have a frankenstein kit on mine and and would like more input on this train of thought.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drew73
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png