Really noisy squeeky brakes.

wonderment

Aug 8, 2011
East Central Indiana
Our new trike had its first service this past Monday. Even before the service our brakes (rear mostly) are really noisy and squeaky. The service guy just said that, "He wasn't surprised." Well, I thought they would remedy that with the service. But did not.

I am NOT at all technically minded. But was wondering, if I could do something about the noise. It is embarassing coming to a stop.

welcome to the world of the Harley Tri-Glide -- thats about what all the dealers are saying -- " we haven't heard of any problems with squeaky rear brakes "

Mine did that when I first got it. Probably couple thousand miles, but it quit finally. After this last service, it started again after they "adjusted" the parking brake. I really think it has something to do with that PB.

My '11 did it too. Dealer told me cuz the clearance is so tight between the new pads and disk that it does not take much crap in there to make some noise. Told me to slam on the rear brakes a coupla times if it got real noisy, and that would help clean the crap out. Did that, and it seemed to help. It stopped doing it a long time ago and at 3,000 miles does not do it now. Just need to break it in I think.

My '11 did it too. Dealer told me cuz the clearance is so tight between the new pads and disk that it does not take much crap in there to make some noise. Told me to slam on the rear brakes a coupla times if it got real noisy, and that would help clean the crap out. Did that, and it seemed to help. It stopped doing it a long time ago and at 3,000 miles does not do it now. Just need to break it in I think.

My '10 squealed for the longest time but I was able to ignore them. Wasn't crazy about the stopping characteristics though. But at 13,000 miles, I stripped off the rear pads, cleaned the rear rotors and calipers, installed the new style pads, and adjusted everything by the book. No more squealing and the stopping power is much better. The PB works like a champ also! The rotors don't look pretty but they have no gouges.
BTW, rear pad kit comes with new pins, circlips, and locking nuts (pads too, of course.)

At the 1,000 service, they DID adjust the PB. It is much more difficult to engage it. To be honest, I sat in the back yesterday while my wife drove and I could hear a similar squeek all down the road. Especially when driving by a wall or something, where the sound bounced back. Maybe I will check and see if they can "back off" some adjustment with the parking brake. We go to the "new buyer" special family night at the dealer this Monday. I will ask them about this. Family night is a closed store special where you meet all the dealer folks, and get special discounts on gear, plus you get to ask all your tough questions in front of everyone.

I have never tried this on a bike or trike. On automotive brake pads some of them come with the trailing edge ground off at about 30 to 45 degree angle. I am referring to the edge that comes in contact with the rotor/drum first in the forward direction. This is to keep the pad or shoe from chattering and causing the squeal. I have done this on several brake jobs and it seems to work. Had race car that was squealing loud enough to hear it over the headers and it fixed it.

Go ahead and take the PB off and throw it away. Then....go to the pads many TG owners are using...Lyndall I think. This has been an issue for a long time and you don't see many of the original posters talking about it much anymore. Maybe they cured it, it went away, or they simply forgot about it. Slamming on the brakes on occasion does knock the glaze off the pads. There is a specific procedure that most pad manufactures recommend to break-in their particular product, but I doubt if Harley put anything like that in the manual that came with the trike.

The stuff they feed you concerning the space between the pads and the rotor is pure BS. Unless, the rotor or the pads are too thick to begin with, which results in a dragging brake and possible warped rotor.. The pad is going to run as close as it can to the rotor in any disc brake system. You may as well get ready to hear..."that's normal" from your dealer for the rest of your life.

Someone (another forum?) from N. Michigan, last winter, had Lyndall drill and chamfer each rear rotor and installed the new Lyndall pads. Haven't read any reports since then about his braking status. He had said the winter was terrible there and trike was in storage. But that was some time ago.

You can also purchase an aftermarket caliper and pad kit. The issue is the PB. If you go looking for a caliper with a PB, I do not think there are many out there. I had thought they had greatly improved the brakes on the 11 and newer models and gone to a different caliper. The problem in caliper replacement (as in manufacturer) is still the PB. If you require a PB, that can be done with an inexpensive line-lock in the brake line, or a simple bungee-cord and you can toss all the cable operated Rube Goldberg junk away. BUT...then you have possible warranty issues and excuses for the Stealership to not fix something. You're just stuck with it until the warranty runs out.

There are thousands of trike's running around out there without that dog-leg parking brake.

Go ahead and take the PB off and throw it away. Then....go to the pads many TG owners are using...Lyndall I think. This has been an issue for a long time and you don't see many of the original posters talking about it much anymore. Maybe they cured it, it went away, or they simply forgot about it. Slamming on the brakes on occasion does knock the glaze off the pads.

Ditching the parking brake and going to Lyndall gold pads took care of my squeak.

I also tossed the parking brake cables & lever. I would like to put a line-lock setup, but haven't figured out where in the line to incorprate the setup or what to use, a manual or electric, etc.
Has anybody done this, what brand, and where and how did they installed them on the rear brake line?
Butch

Parking Brake stuff....many of us simply use a bungee-cord, or large rubber band over the front brake lever, or foot brake pedal. This seems rather like a "rigging", but it is simple and really does work. Of course....it's for those times that it is really required, Certainly....nobody would plan to leave one on for weeks at a time. Just pay attention to how you park and those times a brake is needed....this simple solution will work every time.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluffy
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png