GL 1500 Motortrike brakes

Reaction score
I got a call from my dealer today telling me that my motortrike kit came in today and was wondering if I would like to see it when they up packed it.

That was a no brainer, so the wife and myself headed there as soon as we could get ready. When we got there the salesman got a flat bar and took the top off of the crate so we could see in side. Everything looked good except for one thing. We ordered the optional disk brakes on the rear but it came with drums. I pointed that out to the salesman who went inside and called Motortrike, and was told the disk brakes had been discontiued because of to many problems.

Has anyone else heard this.

Can't wait, it should be done by next weekend. I will post pictures when we get it home.
THANK'S:)

I know a friend of mine bought a Motortrike 4 years ago with drum brakes and they said they would upgrade them he totaled the bike ( long story ) before he ever got the brakes

Just converted my GL 1500 SE with Motortrike Classis ll kit in Oct.08 M.T. dealer checked with factory and was told disk brakes had been discontiued for all 1500 GW

THANK'S to all that have responded. I talked to Motor Trike this morning and they confirmed what the dealer told me.
They had to many problems with the 1500 so they dropped the disk brakes. I was assured that I would like the drum brakes.

Looks like I should have the trike by next weekend.

All we need here in Michigan is SPRING

Last edited:
MotorTrike has discontinued the dics brakes on the 1500 and gone back to the drum brakes. They also recalled the original small disc brakes on the 1800, and went to a much larger version. They discontinued the 1200 trike kit completely. A new addidion was putting AquaShields on the 1500 trike kit, as they had on the 1800 kits. They do not have a fuel tank addition that was available in the earlier models.

It is also interesting to see the CSC conversion for the 1500 is a straight axle, not IRS like the 1800 version is.

Only a member for two days and I'm finding a wealth of information here.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my trike which is an older model of the Motor Trike conversion for the Valkyire. I was going to call them to see if there was a disk conversion available. Guess I won't have to now. Maybe they'll have something in the near future.

There are still a bunch of drums out there on 1800's, and are trouble free, actually a good system. :eek:

Drum brakes on Her Purpleness, a 1995 MT Classic. Drums work very well. Keep them adjusted and you won't hae any problems. BTW, don't rely on the automatic adjusters when you back up like on a car with drums - not enough weight on a trike for the adjusters to do their thing. The only problem I have had with them was remembering where I stashed the brake spoon.

:eek:One word of caution regarding the drum set up. I got mine home from the dealer and had a nasty squeal in the left rear. Removed the drum to find all the guts to the brakes lying loose in the drum. Nothing snagged or scraped, and I put it all back together. It's same as a f-150 or older mustang. Never did figure out what had happened. I had brakes all during the ride home, but thank God it didn't jam up at speed! It was the first time on a bike of any kind in many years, and it coulda been ugly! jimsjinx:confused:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png