Hello from Illinois

Jan 2, 2009
Brookfield, IL
Hi ...my name is Tony...IM just outside of Chicago...IM new to triking but not to motorcycles, been riding over 40 years...IM making the move to trike my bike....2003 Road King...in March 09...I found a local dealer here..American Trike, ever here of it?, IRS...IM doing a classic body style...I'll be asking a lot of questions before its goin in for the convertion...hope I dont ask too many, lol...IM concerned with the rear pulley..drive belt...reverse...and if the stock 88tw will be strong enough...IM a big guy and I always ride two up...in answer to the GUNS thread, IM a former FFL gun dealer...and I lost count of my guns years ago, LOL...Well thats about it for now, hoping to have a long relationship on this forum...Have a Happy New Year.. talk soon

Tony

Hey Tony. Glad you joined the forum. You can never ask too many questions for this lot... they LOVE answering and sharing their accumulated wisdom. And so we all learn! Ask away to your heart's content :D.

Welcome to the board. Keep us informed on your progress with getting ur trike. Lots of Harleys on here so U should be able to get all the information U want. Post some pictures when U can and most of all enjoy the board and the diverse group of people we have on here. Ride Safe

Welcome Tony. Ya, i've heard of American Trike. They make some nice looking trikes. As far as the power, I have an 06 Fatboy I converted and with the added weight its was no dragster........So far besides exhaust, air cleaner and fuel mgmt. I installed a set of andrews TW21 cams. Helped a lot with more torgue off the botttom. I may still drop my gearing slightly (one tooth). But it's not bad now and I live at almost 10,000 ft. and all mtn. riding. For the cash outlay I'm very happy with the results. Keep us posted as to what happens and be sure to post some pics.

Hi Tony welcome aboard. I've heard good things about the american IRS setup. I've heard bad things about the reverse. $1600 is a lot of money for an electric reverse. If you feel reverse is a necessacity then I would suggest a transmission reverse. Champion makes one and Bakers transmissions makes one. $1600 and $2000 respectively. I have a Road Glide/Champion without reverse and do not find it necessary. I suggest you go without it then if you really need it add a transmission type reverse later. Like FBtrike says you should not have a power issue if you just want a normal ride. The added weight takes a couple of the ponies to move it around. The lay of the land there in Illinois should not be as much of a challange as the 10,000 ft elevation and mountains that FBtrike has to deal with. The dropping of a tooth will help in the low end but you will run out of power on the other end. Not an issue unless you are on the super slab a lot. But those type of changes can be done later after you get a chance to feel it out. Good luck Ted

Welcome to the forum Tony. Good advice from FBTRIKE and tmagala. Get the gearing right and your 80% there. Next would be adding a K&N or Screaming Eagle high flow air cleaner and an exhaust system. You can pretty well adapt any aftermarket high-pro exhaust with a couple of extensions bent up for you by a good muffler shop. Speaking of exhaust systems..they WILL fall off your machine if you dont do one of two things. 1) use Harley-Davidson Brand exhaust clamps when mounting them (not the after market ones) as you can torque the heck out of them and they actually hold them on or better still 2) tack weld the muffler to the extension in an inconspicuous place underneath the system. I speak from experience here as Ive had several vibrate loose....not good! If the power still isn't sufficient for you you can always add a cam. Keep us posted on the build.

Really good info here and welcome to the forum. I agree on the reverse, I have not needed it yet? but I am very conscious when parking and keeping the backend on the downhill side. Watch when parking close to two wheelers, as they will lean into you if your too close. You will love the trike and not worrying about lifting or holding a heavy bike up. Good Luck.

Tony, WELCOME
I think you'll be glad you triked. I have a electric reverse (can't push), so far it has been great. Mine came assembled on the trike, so I didn't have any extra labor costs. Both types have their advantages-disadvantages. The first trike I rode was an 88", it seemed fine for power, but only rode it for a few miles (probably a individual preference).

Hi ...my name is Tony...IM just outside of Chicago...IM new to triking but not to motorcycles, been riding over 40 years...IM making the move to trike my bike....2003 Road King...in March 09...I found a local dealer here..American Trike, ever here of it?, IRS...IM doing a classic body style...I'll be asking a lot of questions before its goin in for the convertion...hope I dont ask too many, lol...IM concerned with the rear pulley..drive belt...reverse...and if the stock 88tw will be strong enough...IM a big guy and I always ride two up...in answer to the GUNS thread, IM a former FFL gun dealer...and I lost count of my guns years ago, LOL...Well thats about it for now, hoping to have a long relationship on this forum...Have a Happy New Year.. talk soon

Tony

Tony...just re-read your post. GUNS yeah!! Post up some pictures. That thread is fast becoming one of the hottest ones on the site.

Also if your bike is carborated and you do the above mentioned upgrades, you will want to re-jet it.

You guys are great.....i didnt ask one question and almost all are answered...lmao.....ill wait a day or two and maybe all will be answered lol...as far as gun pics, ill post em asap....good hearing from all of you ...many thanks, tony
03 road king flhri
se air kit
se 98b slip-ons
power commander
custom map

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png