leaf spring frontend ???

Reaction score
i was in gatlinburg tn. this weekend & saw a vwtrike where they had used leaf springs for the front end. they had de-arched the springs & reversed the
spring eye. they used sealed brgs installed into the reversed spring eye,they
have been riding about 10yrs with this set up.
wondered if anyone had used this set up ? looks good & different. going to go
visit & take a test ride hopefully next week. just curious. thanks BT

i was in gatlinburg tn. this weekend & saw a vwtrike where they had used leaf springs for the front end. they had de-arched the springs & reversed the
spring eye. they used sealed brgs installed into the reversed spring eye,they
have been riding about 10yrs with this set up.
wondered if anyone had used this set up ? looks good & different. going to go
visit & take a test ride hopefully next week. just curious. thanks BT

It is called a quarter elipet front end, very good in handling on trikes, awhile back some one had one on a trike that I knew and took for a ride and was very nice in riding and handling,
"Young custom choppers" in Marrietta,Ga, has them and builds them to sell for bikes.
They had them on early HD's and Indian motorcycles back in the day.

no my friend that is not what i saw. the leafs were used inplace of the front
tubes/forks. they had inverted the spring eyes{without heating them} and
installed sealed bearings in the eyes. he said they rolled the eyes over,which i call inverted spring eyes. they had been running the set up for over 10yrs.
i have some pictures but have no way to post them. as soon as weather
clears up i'm going over for a visit&test ride.this is a totally new setup to me.

i plan to visit soon. will get some pics and better details. it is very different
from any i have seen so far. will get more in depth information. BT

Sounds great,
also see you are looking for a frame or a startup trike to build,
You try looking at Wild Man Trikes , he has good prices and such, bit of a drive, but Steve will treat you right. Long as you have the green.lol

:wave4:

Saw a couple of front ends like that in the 70's.
They were really different looking but one owner said that they bounced like crazy and he was changing his out for a springer.

:wave4:

Those pictures are practically useless as to showing what you described. I have to admit that my vision ain't what it used to be but if the pics were larger one might be able to sort the different parts out.

Those pictures are practically useless as to showing what you described. I have to admit that my vision ain't what it used to be but if the pics were larger one might be able to sort the different parts out.
the pics may be useless to u but they show what there is to show. i am not a photographer. i am sure u can do better so have at it.BILL

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png