Drum Brakes to Disc????

Reaction score
Has anyone changed their Ford rear drum brakes to discs? I am not looking for a kit as the cost is prohibitive. I am wanting to get rotors & calipers from a salvage yard and mount them myself. My Trike has a cut down 7.5" Ford rear end with 9" drum brakes. There are no identifying markings on the rear end. If anyone has converted this type, please let me know what year & model Ford parts you used. Stan

Try sending a PM TO 1550vt. I HAD A CONVERSATION WITH HIM A WHILE BACK AND HE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. SEE BELOW

Default Re: Lehman Brakes

I "think" I have talked to you already via e-mail, but I communicate with lots of people, am old now, and have severe memory-loss (according to my wife).

If I have not already shared this....I have a drum-to-disc brake conversion for the older Lehman kits that works at a cost of less than $500.

I am also looking to convert Drum Brakes to Disc?????

So can you help me Mine is a 2006 GL1800 Monarch II

ther is a outfit called "speedway" that sells the changeover i am pretty sure.they carry
streetrod& dirttrack parts. very honest& easy to do business with. their prices are reasonable to me. BT

ther is a outfit called "speedway" that sells the changeover i am pretty sure.they carry
streetrod& dirttrack parts. very honest& easy to do business with. their prices are reasonable to me. BT

Lots of folks (jegs.com & a bunch of others) sell brake conversions but there is a major diff when you are looking at whats needed to do a Trike that already has a modified rear end and doing the same thing on a standard car / truck.
I am betting that there is NOT one shop anywhere that has a bolt on conversion for the rear ends that we have on our trikes.. Maybe at $4k from the kit maker but for us that isnt a realistic $$$$ DO THING.
Wish that there was a off the shelf bolt on kit for the change over!

If you have a Monarch II I believe your kit has disc brakes already. Monarch I had the drum brakes from what I understand.

Dusty, Since 2005, the only kit available from Lehman for the GL1800 was the Monarch II. It came with a disc brake system and a drum mounted parking brake. Unless your trike was built from a discontinued kit, and the two kits are completely different, I find it very odd that have a Monarch II with a drum rear brake system.

I, too would like too change over (I have a 2001). I would go the $500, but if you have to change wheels, that might put it over the top.

Drum to Disc Brakes

I want to convert the rear drum brakes on my 2007 Suzuki C90 Lehman Trike to disc brakes. I contacted Lehman and they said they do not have the parts at the factory. They suggested that I contact Wilwood to see what they have available. Would you happen to know which brake kit I would need for this year and model or are they all different? If someone has a parts list of the items I would need for this conversion I would appreciate a copy. My email is stanley175@verizon.net.

v/r

Wayne

Drum to Disc

I have a 2002 with the Lehman trike kit.. I also would like to go with disc brakes...If anyone has the number of the parts you need.. Please send them..
Yoakums4@bex.com.

??????????

Have looked at this for many different Kits but this is much harder than just a kit. Each manufacturer has mounts for the calipers based on the brand Caliper used / and most use the smallest capacity caliper available so the brakes will work / remember that little Rear master cylinder on a Honda MC only holds so much fluid, so you want big calipers you need a big master cylinder to match the capacity of both sides that also mounts the same and uses pads that match the rotor diameter..... now go find something that works.... you would need to work for a brake manufacturer so you had an unlimited supply of stuff to try to match up... take all your broken down parts to a brake manufacturer and find someone that will do that.... I never did!!! They're first question is what brand are we talking about ? But you don't want that Brand or it mounted the way it comes... so the search goes on for years to come....

I'm looking for help with my dads goldwing.

He has a Goldwing 1500 and did a brake conversion. now we can't the brake pedal to stay after bleeding it. Its good for a few minutes then needs to be pumped up again

Try sending a PM TO 1550vt. I HAD A CONVERSATION WITH HIM A WHILE BACK AND HE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. SEE BELOW

Default Re: Lehman Brakes

I "think" I have talked to you already via e-mail, but I communicate with lots of people, am old now, and have severe memory-loss (according to my wife).

If I have not already shared this....I have a drum-to-disc brake conversion for the older Lehman kits that works at a cost of less than $500.

I considered changing my '97's 9" Ford Drums to discs ....
.... but then I thought about how disc get wet in rain and need drying off at first use, how trikes are not equipped with power boosters, how drum brakes have the "self energizing" tendency when applied as rotation tends to wedge the rear shoe against the pin and add more pressure to the shoes, and how they just last so long and are so easy to find shoes for ....
.... that I just installed new wheel cylinders instead.

I did install a 10psi residual pressure valve from Wilwood a few years ago in the rear line as drums have return springs that will still relax the shoes .... 10 psi will keep seals full.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png