Is your trike titled as a motorcycle or trike?

My is titled as motorcycle Special Contraction looking at another one the titled as a Harley Davidson but power by VW motor the vin is for the neck of the old harley davidson so I to was wondering how that work out my was that is Special Contraction is hard to get insured

Both trikes are listed as motorcycles. However, Shadow has a tax value of $9,000.00 but an insured valve of $16,000.00 as I had it registered in NC BEFORE I picked it up at the M/T factory in Troup. G/W GL-1100 has a tax value of $1,400.00 .

Missouri here-

We got the new GL1800 in Iowa. It was titled as a motorcycle, the trike kit is considered an accessory. Brought it into Missouri and the MO title and registration came back with "2WHL" under body style. Had to have it inspected by the state police (the paper work, 551 form cost $27, also had a 4808 form) and he just noted it was a Honda Goldwing GL1800 converted to a trike with a kit. The frame, engine and transmission were not altered, so the VIN didn't change, just the designation from a "motorcycle" to "trike" on the title and "3WHL" under body style on the title and registration.

The 551 form is to get a copy or change the title if there was a mistake, typo, salvage or otherwise change the title. May be too late, but you may be able to get the title changed to reflect the "critical components" are stock, and the original VIN would apply.

I'm having a problem with my GW 1800 conversion. The insurance company only wants to give me an additional $1000 in coverage for the vehicle. What should I do?

My insurance company considers anything that did not come on the bike from the factory as an accessory. anything from the least bit of added chrome to our riding gear, the Bunkhouse camper when it is attached or on a trip and the trike kit is under the accessory coverage, which we pay extra for, bu it seems reasonable. Was well worth it during the last bit of unpleasantness with our former trike, a gl1500.

(The Whole sordid story here: http://www.triketalk.com/forum/gener...tale-tell.html ) If something happens, the accessories are covered at 100%, the original bike is covered at the assessed value. Currently we have accessory coverage to pay for a total loss of the Bunkhouse, trike kit, the $3500 worth of chrome and stuff the PO put on the trike and most of our riding gear. The stock policy comes with $3000 of accessory coverage, but it doesn't take much to max that out even on a stock bike.

I'm having a problem with my GW 1800 conversion. The insurance company only wants to give me an additional $1000 in coverage for the vehicle. What should I do?

With mine (State Farm), all I had to do was to get them a copy of the invoice showing the cost of the trike conversion.

If showing the cost isn't sufficient to prove the additional value for your company, I'd find a different company.

As far as the title goes, all I had to do (since I had the trike painted) was to change the color from Black to Copper.

i have progressive i have the bike insur for book value plus 12,000.00 additional coverage it is insur as a motorcycle i pay 30.00 a month it is insur all year long no put up for winter

In Arizona, if the trike is powered by a motorcycle engine, it's considered a motorcycle.........if powered by a car engine, it's considered a car (no m/c endorsement needed).....a little common sense goes a long way ThumbUp

If it's powered by a Briggs & Stratton, it's considered a lawn mower :laugh: (Kiddin' on this one ;))

Got insurence quote today, $15000 as a trike, $675./year $500 deducable. Medical $ 50000/$100000

in Mississippi

Good gawd... I took my Valkyrie/MT to my Progressive agent (a rider that knows how to insure bikes). She took a pic with her phone, asked a value, then got my policy for a little under $300 / yr. Includes the additional $10K medical insurance for driver & passenger.

Agents have a lot of lattitude in how they insure vehicles. I looked for years before I found this one, riding in a charity run. Rider / agents seem to know our problems better.

And it is licensed as a motorcycle here in Texas. The law reads any vehicle with three wheels or less is a motorcycle.

Hi, I just bought a '05 wing w/ the CSC kit on it. The PO (who inherited it) titled it in his name and the people at the DMV said he had to change the description of the bike to a Special Construction make and the State assigned a new VIN to it complete with a metal VIN plate attached to the frame. The title now reads 3 wheel. The yr still remains a 2005.

This has played hell with the insurance companies as they all(so far) want to rate it as a special construction bike like something the Teutels would build. The rates are at least twice what it would be if I gave them the Honda VIN and insured the trike kit as an accessory.

Anybody else run into this retitle problem with their state?

Dan Moore
St Charles, MO

In Fl my 2012 Tri Glide is MC. Ray

Insurance is almost always higher for custom built and off the charts for Experimental builds.

Very good point and sorry I missed this in the first post of the thread. I learned years ago that if it isn't written on the Title, then it's best to not even mention words like "chopper", "custom" or "special construction" to the insurance company. It'll raise the rates and some companies won't even insure bikes/trikes with those designations.

We have something similar here to what "insdan" mentioned about the new VIN # and plate attached to the frame. Here it's called a Blue Tag. Sometimes MVD will only Blue Tag the bike/trike and change the VIN # only, which is cool because it allows one to continue paying sane insurance rates.

But sometimes they'll Blue Tag it, then change the info on the Title......."Make" becomes "Special Construction" and the "Year" becomes the same as the year the inspection/change happened. For example, if the bike/trike was originally a 1960's model, it could now read as a 2012 model Special Construction, which unfortunately bumps up the insurance rates ridiculously and for no logical reason as far as I can see.........I hope "insdan" was able to get his paperwork reversed as he mentioned earlier.

Ride Safe........

In California... If the trike was made here with a California motorcycle it remains a motorcycle... If you bring one in from out of state... it magically turns into a RV.. Go figure? :Shrug:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoolmanJC

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoolmanJC
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png