What to do if wheel lifts.

Reaction score
If the the inside wheel lifts does the trike then act like a two wheeler? That is in a right turn with the right wheel lifted does pushing forward on the right handlebar cause the trike to lean right and lower the wheeel?

Just wondering what to do if the situation ever arises.

Countersteering would tend to put the right wheel back down. It also would send the trike in a straight ahead direction, and you would miss the curve!
Your bike, with the voyager attachment steers exactly like a trike, or even a 4 wheel atv. Any attempt to countersteer could cause a disaster. The inside wheel lift is of no concern to the operator; it is only a problem to riders behind that even notice it happening.
Due to the lean factor, your car has less downward pressure on the inside tire, and increased downward pressure on the outside tire.
My favorite analogy, is to think of a trike's (3 or 4 wheel) handling more like a sports car than a bike. You slow down entering the turn, then roll on the throttle as you proceed through the turn, and you will feel the rearend push you around and through the curve.

The best thing is not to do any sudden moves are you will be going over.
I just went through this a couple of weeks ago and the person riding behind me sais my right wheel came two feet off the ground.
Here is what I did to corect the situation.
As you know on a trike to turn right you are pushing with your left hand and pulling with your right.
What I did was while keeping the pressure on with my left hand,I relaxed my right hand just a very little this let the front wheel move back to the left just a tad and the right wheel gently came back down and I did not go over in to the other lane.
If I had been paying more attenion I would not have put my self in that position.
To say it was scary would be a understatment.
:AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH::gah::gah::gah:

It will not tip over, so y are you concerned . If you are looking through the curve you should not notice it off the ground. The dangerous part was you looking at the tire. The wheels will do it a lot . I had fun holding it up for a while till it stopped spinning and then dropping it and getting a chirp. . Mostly leaving a parking lot .

If it's on a Motor Trike kit, this is less of an issue as with some others. Our kit uses an open face differential which transfers the power to the wheel with the least resistance. If a wheel does lift, this wheel recieves the power and will naturally set itself back down.

Not to pull anyone's chain, but I seriously doubt if the inside wheel came off the ground anywhere near 2 ft! It lifts maybe 3 inches, and you still have three wheels on the ground with your voyager kit.
I have ridden a lot of miles on the voyager, and have followed a friends voyager for the past two years. The inside wheel will lift a little bit, but I doubt if you could turn it over on purpose. We ride with two wheelers and other makes of trike conversions all the time, and twisties or left/right corners are no problem whatsoever. The outrigger wheels are designed to not have hardly any down pressure when going straight, so there is almost no pressure designed to keep them on the ground when the bike leans a bit.
If you will quit worrying about the rear of the trike, and only concern yourself with what's in front of the trike, you will get comfortable with it and never even think about it. That is until some novice following notices it and starts talking about it again.
Talk to voyager about your concerns. They have sold thousands all over the U.S. and other countries. Have you ever seen a story about one ever tipping over?

I'm sorry. When I read the first thread, somehow I got the idea you were talking about a voyager kit. Just paint me old and stupid. I understand you concern a little more now that I reread the entire thread.

Last edited:
If it's on a Motor Trike kit, this is less of an issue as with some others. Our kit uses an open face differential which transfers the power to the wheel with the least resistance. If a wheel does lift, this wheel recieves the power and will naturally set itself back down.

The first few times this happened on my MT, I didn't realize what was happening. I adjusted the clutch a couple of times before I figured it out.

D'Ooh!! :laugh:

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obsidian
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png