New Roadsmith conv. with bad paint

Aug 9, 2011
Gallitzin, Pa. USA
Had my GL1500 conversion installed last month at my local Honda and Roadsmith dealer. What started out as a 4-5 week project ended up going on 9 weeks. When my wife and I went to pick up our new ride the head of the service dept. was going over a few things with us. My wife noticed several small spots on the right fender and on closer inspection spots in several places. Service manager tried to rub the spots off with honda spray polish and that did not work. Manager said the spots were air bubbles in either the clear coat or paint. Bike is candy apple red. I took the bike and checked with a couple of people in the painting business. Was told the only way to get rid of the spots or air bubbles was to strip the body and start over. Roadsmith told the service manager they did not want to take the body back and repaint it. It would cost them shipping both ways plus the cost of stripping and repainting. I was told Roadsmith offered to give me a price break on accessories. Anyone else have a bad paint job on their Roadsmith? Not sure what I'm going to do as I live in central Pa. an riding season is over for the most part.

You are on the right track. Its not your fault that they screwed up on the first place. They have several steps in getting the trike all together first the paint shop , trike company and Honda dealer all saw the defects unless they are all blind or totally incompetent. No room for discounts or rebates here. You either make them do it right or ride a defective bike. SORRY to hear that this is a company that treats its customers poorly. I'll think good thoughts about a proper outcome in your favor. curley

Had my GL1500 conversion installed last month at my local Honda and Roadsmith dealer. What started out as a 4-5 week project ended up going on 9 weeks. When my wife and I went to pick up our new ride the head of the service dept. was going over a few things with us. My wife noticed several small spots on the right fender and on closer inspection spots in several places. Service manager tried to rub the spots off with honda spray polish and that did not work. Manager said the spots were air bubbles in either the clear coat or paint. Bike is candy apple red. I took the bike and checked with a couple of people in the painting business. Was told the only way to get rid of the spots or air bubbles was to strip the body and start over. Roadsmith told the service manager they did not want to take the body back and repaint it. It would cost them shipping both ways plus the cost of stripping and repainting. I was told Roadsmith offered to give me a price break on accessories. Anyone else have a bad paint job on their Roadsmith? Not sure what I'm going to do as I live in central Pa. an riding season is over for the most part.

Ive have had nothing but fantastic paint jobs from Roadsmith and I've honestly never seen or heard of a single complaint on this forum or any of the others I frequent concerning Roadsmith's paint work. That doesn't mean there hasn't been or wont be a problem pop up, but I know they thoroughly inspect their paint work before shipping it. Its possible, if there are bubbles in the paint, that they formed after it was crated as the paint was curing, its takes a good month before the paint is totally cured, thats why they warn against any cleaners or polishes being applied to the finish for a month. I suggest you give Jim McGurran a call at Roadsmith and talk to him personally about this. He's co-owner of Roadsmith and reads and posts here...he and the rest of the folks at Roadsmith are good people.

I don't think Roadsmith paints the bodies. Mine was done by the installer. main reason is they order "blanks" so they can paint match whatever they need to. Your installer may use a local paint shop if they didn't do it themselves. Personally, I would tell them to repaint it or I'll see them in court. As someone else said, photo document. And, I would call Jim. Roadsmith's history on warranty seems to be very good from what I've heard and experienced.

I don't think Roadsmith paints the bodies. Mine was done by the installer. main reason is they order "blanks" so they can paint match whatever they need to. Your installer may use a local paint shop if they didn't do it themselves. Personally, I would tell them to repaint it or I'll see them in court. As someone else said, photo document. And, I would call Jim. Roadsmith's history on warranty seems to be very good from what I've heard and experienced.

They do paint their bodies and their dealers can order them either painted or unpainted. I used to paint all of mine but for the last year I've started ordering all of mine factory painted and have had nothing but beautiful work from them. Ive been told the ratio is about 60/40 painted VS unpainted orders. Its usually costs slightly more to order them factory prepped and painted but the quality has been consistently very good in my experience.

I will add that I disagree with starting the conversation with "Fix it or I'll see you in court"...that does nothing but put a person on the defensive from the git go and could make them less likely to want to help you. You'll always catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Do you have any pictures? Maybe we could offer better suggestions as to what to do. Could the spots be covered with a fender bra? Could Roadsmith knock the price down some rather than taking accessories? I hope you can resolve the issue easily as I am very happy with Roadsmith. I been a Roadsmith customer for 3 years and have never had any problems, they have been quick to take care of any issues I have ever had with my trike. Currently I am waiting on the delivery of my 2nd Roadsmith trike.

Seems to me the issue is "Who applied the paint?" I wonder if the service manager actually talked to Roadsmith. I have found RS completely trustworthy and reliable.

My 1500 was painted by the installer and it is flawless. You have spent a LOT of money, be firm and calm but I would ask for it to be repainted.

Roadsmith - Trikeshop is definitely the company that will always stand behind their product 100%. This has been proven to me time and time again by the quality of work and amazing customer service delivered by their factory shop, Trikeshop of Daytona.

Is it possible that the problem is at your Honda dealership, who is trying to cut costs?

If I was in your shoes, I'd call Roadsmith directly and I'm sure your problem will get resolved to your complete satisfaction. These guys are here to stay...great company, great product, great service ThumbUp

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not saying Roadsmith will not make it right. They have been notified of the problem and it's up to me to decide what I want them to do. I'm not sure what I want to do until I hear there offer on accessories. There are several spots on the top of the right fender and a few here and there elsewhere. Roadsmith would rather have me take their offer whatever it will be than to pay shipping both ways and repainting. I should know in a few days. The spots look like very small drops of tree sap about the size of the tip of a ball point pen, some you can feel. Looking at it under florescent lights it looks like someone tried to rub out the area and left very fine scratches in the paint. I was just wanting to know if anyone else has a problem like this.

Sorry to hear about the spots. I have been painting cars for over 40 years and was wondering if the spot that they tried to rub out took care of it and just left the sand scratches. If it solved the problem then you can take some very fine grit 3000 or 4000 grit sand paper and sand the scratches out and then use some rubbing compound and compound it out. If the spots are just in the paint you will have to sand them down smooth and then repaint. If it is in the fiberglass then you will have to do some fiberglass work before repainting. For what caused the spots is hard to tell. It could be that they just didn't strain the paint good enough. One time I was using a certain brand and I had to strain it several time and if I didn't there would be some dark spots in the paint. Wish that you could post some images of the spots.
I think that I would want them to repaint.

I just had a person look at the trike that does custom finishing on both wood and metal and he thinks it is dirt either in the clearcoat or the paint. He doesn't think there is any way to fix the paint job other than completely stripping and repainting. It's just my luck to be the only one to get a bum paint job. For what this costs I think I just may have them repaint the kit. It would probabely be just as cheap for them to send a new painted body than try to fix this one.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semiringeye
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png