Harley 5 speed reverse

knockdolian

Feb 5, 2010
SOMERSET UK
Hi all, Happy new year to all. Im thinking of fitting an MMD reverse kit to my 88 FLHTC trike. I see that it needs an insterlation tool for about $66 to fit it.
My question is has anyone fitted this reverse kit, is the kit rearly needed and if so would anyone that has fitted the kit have the instalation tool I could buy or borriw. Im in uk.
Many thanks . Paul

I have used the Champion Reverse kit and the tool is included, only needed some tools at home to install..

I have installed at least 4 Reverse Gear kits on a 5 speed gear box from Champion. The kit comes with very good instructions and the tool you need to install the actual extra gears. A Dremel tool with a good stone is a plus. They also have available to purchase, puller to remove the housing. Feeler gauge and spacer rings are included in the kit as well as a few other goodies. If you are mechanically able, understand clearances and not afraid to grind out part of the housing cover for gear clearance you can do it. The manifold will need to be removed and the exhaust pipe moved out of the way. All in all the installation is simple to medium as far as difficulty. Good luck and have fun

Thanks for the posative info. I think champion will be the way to go. long shot before I go anead and order one. Has anyone got a second hand kit for sale ???/

Thanks for the posative info. I think champion will be the way to go. long shot before I go anead and order one. Has anyone got a second hand kit for sale ???/
Hard to find one under 1300..good luck,,not sure if you looked already but you can download the install instructions from champion off there web site before buying there kit..It will give you a idea the labor involved

Thanks to all, Just bought one off ebay $1399 +$45 post to uk. Could have got the MMD one for half that but I went on recomendation from you lot :laugh::laugh::laugh:
All the best and Happy new year

reverse

can anyone tell me if the distance from the transmission to the outer clutch cover stays the same when fitting the mmd reverse thanks all

can anyone tell me if the distance from the transmission to the outer clutch cover stays the same when fitting the mmd reverse thanks all

NO. If you remove the clutch cover and insert the reverse assembly, then replace the cover, it HAS to move it outward by some amount. I googled the MMD unit, and it looks similar to the Champion that I installed. Pix are on your other thread.

Have you checked with MMD to see what the thickness of their unit is?

NO. If you remove the clutch cover and insert the reverse assembly, then replace the cover, it HAS to move it outward by some amount. I googled the MMD unit, and it looks similar to the Champion that I installed. Pix are on your other thread.

20mm

My 1989 tour glide is so light on its wheels i dont need a reverse gear so i didnt install it.

yes i watch where i park but am 65 yers old with heart and lung conditions but dont need reverse.

this isint a tri glide which is hard to push amigo.

21433082_2015101942051939_3694851610910785863_n.jpg

ive got the reverse its about half inch wide which means ill have to put some sort of indentation in the top exhaust pipe for clearance.at least for the banjo bolt to clear

Attachments

• thumbnail_image3.jpg
    thumbnail_image3.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 100

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markh853
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png