Pickup Camper Shell Sleeper

Yep....get some steel angle, trim one side off so it will clamp down under the shell. Weld 2pcs. of angle to form a rectangle to these two. Fit 3/4" plywood to it......"TA-DA".....done this about 3 times over the years...still have storage room under it.....cheap, easy to remove, works...wish I'd taken pics and I'd post em'......ThumbUp

If you're under 6' you can just use a piece of plywood cut to the width of the truck bed and place a leg under the middle at the edge.

Another way (if you're over 6') is to use two hinges and make a "door". Attach the hinges to to box side and use two legs (one at each end) to support the "door". When not in use it can be folded up and you still have good access to the pick-up bed floor.

You can use those fold up table legs for a camper table. They work well.

Both of these are best made with at least 3/4" plywood.

Thanks for the responses. I like both those ideas. I'm trying to decide whether to go more elaborate with a center section that comes out to make a table top with two "benches" one on either side, or keep it simple with just the bed and storage underneath. Its an 8ft bed so I've got plenty of room.

In the late 70's I had a Ford Courier with a shell and a full pass-through window. On a Christmas 1977 trip from San Diego to NC and back I put a piece of 3/4" plywood, with l" foam pad, that spanned from one gunwale to the other for my 18 month old son to sleep and play on. Had a 6" lip on the backside to keep him from falling out.

My wife and I slept on a futon-style foam mattress that nestled between luggage and Christmas presents in the truck bed. I put eye hooks on either end of the side windows, rear window, and pass through and strung up some towels with clothes pins to give us privacy when we stopped.

Used this system for about 3 years. Then I upgraded to a Ford E-350 van conversion.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neil wright
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png