Sugestions wnted on steering

In 2010 someone cross the centerline an hit me on my bike. I lost my left leg. My right arm is limited and I have a artificial hip on the right side. So I'm pretty bang up. I bought a 2003 Fat Boy Lehman trike. It has no rake kit on it. I have a hard time steering it especially since I use a hand shift. Any suggestions on how to steer it would help. How about changing handlebars? I can't afford a rack kit at this time the cost and the price to install is just to much at this time. Thanks for any help y'all cane give.

Before changing your bars, I would try to roll them down a bit. This will change the angle and put less pressure on you. However, be sure and make sure you don't roll them down tooo far, you don't want them hitting you when you try to turn either! Also, check your front tire pressure, if it's low, it will greatly increase the steering effort as well!!

Please don't take this suggestion wrong, I am not being a smart azz, just trying to help. Run more air pressure in the front tire and less in the rear. This will let the forks turn easier and the rear will drag a little helping to turn. Heavier fork oil and a spacer on the spring in the forks will keep the forks extended removing some weight on the front end will also help. You can remove the fork cap and put an old socket in there helping the fork spring pressure to keep the forks extended. They will still work just a little stiffer. Less air in the rear shocks to lower the rear a little. The ultimate answer is a rake kit, wider handlebars do help, something like WO575 WildOnes are 2 inches up and 2 inches back and 4 inches longer and they do help steering. I have them on my trike and that was a accidental side effect but did help. Glad to see you keep riding. Hope it brings as many smiles to your face as it does mine. Thanks, Jerry

Obviously the handlebar change will help you some as well. Two other options when you can afford it is the rake kit as you have said and you might want to look at a 21" wheel/tire with Softail Custom forks for the front of your setup. Adding the longer forks with the narrow and taller tire will make steering easier.

The 16" front tire on your Fatboy gives more resistance due to the wider contact patch plus the added weight of the wheel. A taller narrow tire once rolling steer easier

Tom

In 2010 someone cross the centerline an hit me on my bike. I lost my left leg. My right arm is limited and I have a artificial hip on the right side. So I'm pretty bang up. I bought a 2003 Fat Boy Lehman trike. It has no rake kit on it. I have a hard time steering it especially since I use a hand shift. Any suggestions on how to steer it would help. How about changing handlebars? I can't afford a rack kit at this time the cost and the price to install is just to much at this time. Thanks for any help y'all cane give.

How about this...I will give you an unbelievably great deal on a rake kit and install it for free for you. Tell me where you live and I will make arrangements to come pick your trike up and install the rake for you.

Sounds like you've had some tough breaks and could use a hand with your trike. A 5 degree rake kit will be a huge help for you. Im going to PM you with my phone number and we'll talk and see if we cant get the ball rolling on this.

I want to thank everyone for all the help.

That's what family is for, ain't it?
When you can afford it, I would suggest "Helibar's" for the handlebar conversion. I am a disabled rider and had these put on my trike at Sturgis, when we toured USA last year. After the Ezi-Steer it is the next best thing I ever put on my trike. They adjust up and down, as well as back and forth...... magic!!!! All the best

Bent, buckled, but riding :wave4:

How about this...I will give you an unbelievably great deal on a rake kit and install it for free for you. Tell me where you live and I will make arrangements to come pick your trike up and install the rake for you.

I'll chime in with the rest, you one heck of a great guy.

This is a truly generous and unselfish offer from one rider to another rider that's in need. I salute you, Bazooka!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timetraveller
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png