newbie gearing up for home build

Reaction score
hi folks,
i am currently gathering up parts so i can start builing my own trike. this trike will be the vw version as i have loved this style since i was a kid in the 70's.

at this time, i have had a transporter bus donated from my dad ( i believe it has the pancake motor), a dummy tank for the front donated by a co-worker,
possibly a front wheel,tire, and forks.

so, i got a front, and a back...that brings me to the middle part and my question.
in order for my build to look proportionate, what should or would you folks recommend for the length of this trike? i want the chopper look, but not stretched out so far that it is hard to handle, as the wife is wanting to be a part of this as well. what would you recomend for center of wheel to center of wheel. another question is this rake thing... what is "rake"...is this the angle of the forks?

i read on one build that 36* was the desired agle...is anything more than that considered radical? as stated earlier, i dont want it to be hard to handle.
below is a pic of what i would like to style my build after, but i will make some design changes, so as not to completely copy this mans work.

i would like to shorten up the area between the forks(neck?)and the front of the tank. i like the lo-boy and all steel look.the glass bodies are sweet, but this a;; steel really pops for me.

thanx for any comments, and advice ahead of time.everthing will be put to good use when i get to finally start this build.

on a side note, i do have fab / weld experience, so everything will be safe and not a hack job. i have been a welder fo 25 years , both fab shop, and shipyard.

thanx again, mike

Last edited:
Just got back from B of TTW web site. Do some people really ride some of the,<LOL> I saw a couple from PENN I think , they were up at Americade with a Corvair trike that had to be bigger than the original Corvair ,all made for wood with a huge home made front end . The seats didn't even match. Like find a junk car and take the torn seats out and use them as is. I am looking at the EZtrike.com to do my 550 Honda . but Honey won't drive it if aint good looking. :cool: I can't get any info I want to see how it hooks up.

hi john,

yes there are ALOT of sinful not to mention SCARY looking rides on the BTW forum. the trike i posted above ,i saved from my search there. trikerdon on that forum, has alot of info as to rake and trail so i have been printing off info from his site so much that i need to buy more ink(LOL).

i just wrote down the site you put up and will check that out. i have been a welder for the past 25 years, and pride myself in my talent.i dont believe in shotty work...first of all, its nasty looking , and second its UNSAFE.

MY WIFE WAS BROWSING WITH ME, AND WHEN WE CAME TO THE ONE IN MY POST ABOVE,, WE BOTH AGREED AT THE SAME TIME THAT WE LIKED THAT LOOK...just noticed the caps (sorry).we want the simple look, without a bunch of junk just goobered on.

my dad called this weekend, and said he scored a set of tires for my build. i asked what they were and all he said was " the dam things are about 18" wide on the tread!"OMG, i got me a set of FATTIES!

i am really chomping at the bit to get going but i have to stop and tell myself to slow down. i have waited 30 yrs to have something like this, and i have a family to finish raising, so a few more yrs is not a big thing.i want to go slow and build things properly. this will be mine and luvy's past time once the kids are gone, and i want it to be right.

thanx for listening to me ramble,

mike

If you get a chance, check out a BTW Trike-in in your area. There are usually a bunch of home-builts in attendance, running the gamut from amazing pieces of engineering to some I wouldn't want to be within 20 feet when they are started up! Some great ideas there of things you may want to incorporate into your build, and some examples of how not to do it.

Have fun with your build!

Last edited:
ozark,

thanx for the post as well as the rest of you. i did look to see if there was a BTW chapter in my area, but i believe i found the closest was either NH or MASS.

spoke with the friend from work last nite, and he has knowledge along with his dad on building. offered his help when the time comes for the frontend so i can be sure it is right and handles welll without fighting it. he and his dad have been members of the UBM(united bikers of maine )for a long time, and my co-workers has built and re-built a bunch of harleys.

mike

This is, by far, my favorite VW powered Trike! More pics down in the "More VWs" thread.

reedley24.jpg

I built one from a 69 vw and a Honda frame 36 is good but don't make it to short my is long and my Father-n-law vw trike is short and my drives and handles better

Now I really like that it almost looks like a Goldwing. I think I saw that on a truck last year and I thought it was a Goldwing; It had an extended front fork How much for a kit. Honey could drive that

Looks pretty much like $4,750 more or less $1oo. for all you need from them . Add the front tire , a few rear Mags and tires, Paint and a old VW with a good motor. and you could be on the road on a rad trike for about $ 7,000 not bad that would be with a silver powdered coated girder front end and bars , a good paint job and a professional seat. NEW tires ans a decent front rim. :yes:
If u are handy you could maybe do it for under $6,500

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png