Thinking of getting a VTX 1800 trike

extreme10

Reaction score
Hi,
Perhaps those who have already got a VTX 1800 trike would like to share there thoughts on how they have found it. I would be interested to know what the fuel economy is like- are they easy to work on and comparison to the Goldwing ride. I always have a passenger.

Did you have it converted for you or did you do the work yourself?

What conversion did you have - I am thinking of the Motortrike and am hoping that they sell just the kits as I live in Spain where there are no dealers for trikes at all.

In antisipation - Thanks you

Below sells Champion Trikes... To be honest I do like the Champion VTX 1800 trikes. They are nice looking and have both Straight and independent rear axle.

If I had my choice I would go with a Goldwing 1800 as the passenger would be better suited on the back than on a trike or bike with a less comfortable seat. If cost is an issue.. VTX is the way to go and while not as comfortable as a GL1800 it's ok for shorter rides and you can always add a seat and tour box to your VTX... Also VTX 1300 is an option.

With a trike kit on it... I have gotten 32 miles per gallon or 7.350455729166666 liters per 100 km

Harley-Davidson Lisboa 351 21 915 67 90 Arm. 6 Z.I. Abrunheira PORTUGAL

I have the VTX 1800c converted with A Motortrike kit. I paid to have the conversion done, and yes, I still had to do it myself... long story. I don't know if they'll sell you their kit...they wouldn't sell me one and I had to drive 8 hours and into the U.S.A. to get it. I think the VTX is an excellent platform for any kit, although I've never tried anything else. It's better than a Goldwing, IMO, in that you can have a more of a "feet forward" kind of stance on the VTX because of the narrower V-twin engine,... the goldwing has that big engine to get your legs around as well as the controls would still be back at a more "upright sitting" stance on the G.W. ... the problem that sold me on the VTX over the G.W./Valk in the first place. The G.W. has a larger fuel tank, (better for touring) and better "creature comforts". We've had the VTX on several long distance tours and wouldn't replace it with anything...except, maybe install on an auxiliary fuel tank on it. I would have liked to have tried a couple of different kits before choosing this one, but really didn't have a choice in that regard. This forum won't let you say anything negative about dealing with some companies, so I won't. The speedo is dead on with plenty of power still... of course fuel mileage goes down- I get about 185 kms -200 kms max. out of a tank now (remember its a "C" model). Make no mistake though,... riding a trike isn't riding a bike. There are huge differences and some days, I really miss two wheels, but in my case it was either go to three or shut 'er down. Hope this helps.

Open the GARAGE in the heading above, and do a search for VTX. It will pull up a number of beautiful VTX trikes, both 1300 and 1800. And not all of our members has an album there. Meredog is one who comes to mind that you should contact and ask questions...... his VTX1800 is very comfortably ridden 2-up all the time, pulls trailers, and rides all over the country!

Thanks ever so much for your replies and interest. They have answered most of the questions I needed. I do have a goldwing 1800 but want to change it for something a little cheaper and more basic. I also like the idea that the VTX in it's trike form looks more like a motor bike. I also live in Spain where there are no trike dealers , the nearest is 1000ml away. Working on the Vtx should be a lot more simpler than the Goldwing , although I must say that the goldwing part of my trike has been super. I have had loads of problems with the rear which I suspect was created due to poor build initially. The lack of fuel capacity was always worrying and I may have to include a seperate take in the boot.

Whether I can get the kit sent to me we will have to see.
Thanks again for your replies.

I am not sure that Motortrike ships their kits to individual owners, but I do know that Champion does offer that service. They make a wonderful kit also, and it looks darn good! I had one on my Fat Boy for the last 6 years. You may keep them in mind as an option too.

I have had the RoadSmith kit for 1 year on my 1800, no complaints, but I really have nothing to compare it to, this is the only MC and Trike I have ever ridden.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stag man
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png