2015 HD freewheeler. ...Hot hot!

tiffany

Jun 12, 2015
parker, co, usa
Just bought my most amazing freewheeler a few days ago. LOVE IT ! I'm new to riding..about 6 months, and previously rode a 2006 Honda 750 motortrike. Now, on my new beast..I'm having to learn and get settled in. I noticed after riding 39 or so miles the HEAT from the right side of the bike is really. .HOT. Almost so much so that it is uncomfortable. I ride with jeans and proper riding boots. After a relatively short ride yesterday, I took pants off (at home..lol) and noticed the inside right calf of my leg was all red and splotchy....like when you get burned. It did fade over time and today doesn't bug me at all. Went to the HD shop and told them and they ordered heat deflectors.....waiting. seems like they are going to be placed up higher than the lower leg area though. So....wondering if any other freewheeler owners have noticed this exceptional heat on the right hand side and if so...what did you do about it? Thank you, sincerely, in advance for your time and any suggestions and feedback.
Tiffany

Hi Tiffany,

Welcome to the Forum, and Congratulations on your New Trike! ThumbUp

The heat your are feeling is probably from the catalytic converter which is right below your right foot.

The most inexpensive way to get some relief from that heat is with Floorboard Extensions.

Click on this LINK to see more info on them.

They will also make your ride more comfortable, as they give you more room to move your feet around.

There are also other things you can do, highway pegs, removing the catalytic converter, and a host of other things that will reduce the felt heat and actual heat.

There are a ton of threads on the forum about how to reduce how much heat is felt, and how to reduce the actual heat the engine is producing.

I would do the Floorboard Extensions first, and ride it for awhile to see if that does the trick for you, or if you want to reduce the felt heat even more.

Have fun on your new FW! :)

Kevin

Welcome to TT!ThumbUp

As Keven said, moving the floorboards outwards and highway pegs can take care of the heat you are feeling. Tank lift can help too. I have both of those items from DK Customs. Excellent product from a great company.

Welcome aboard what has already been mentioned are the first steps to relief. Elimination takes more serious steps. We all do what makes us comfortable.

So.......went riding again today ...A long steady ride..about 80 miles one way, about 70 mph was the average....The heat didn't nearly bother me today like yesterday. The difference from today and yesterday was I was on the hwy..Instead of going through town with several stop lights, etc. The consistent stop and go, at slower speeds ...With less wind, obviously is part of the heat issue. DUH....I'm learning ! I'll definitely check into the floor board extensions. MUCH APPRECIATED FOR THE ADVICE!

Tiffany,

Floor board extensions as said also don't hug the tank with your legs, very common with new riders.

I have the 1" floorboard Extensions installed on my Freewheeler also the V Twin Manufacturing 2" extended rear heal shifter arm and the 3 1/2" long LA Choppers front extended shift peg ( Ext shift peg not needed in rear, it will get in the way of setting the parking brake) All these items are a must on Trikes in my opinion. ( After all these items are installed and adjusted correctly all is great)

I have all the room in the world with my floorboards, shifting is better and the big one heat is managed much better. ThumbUp

Enjoy your new Trike....

Ride Safe, :)
Bill G

- - - Updated - - -

Okay ... I must be dense ... I still don't know where they go. Where are they highlighted.

You can see the extensions in these pic's. Look between the floorboards and where they mount to the frame, there you will see a 1" extensions. The kit comes with 1" spacers and longer mounting bolts. (It takes longer to poor a glass of tea and get the tools out than it does to install them)

Bill G

Attachments

• ext 2.JPG
    ext 2.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 116
  • ext 1.JPG
    ext 1.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1765.JPG 3.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG 3.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1763.JPG 1.JPG
    IMG_1763.JPG 1.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 108
I guess, I could get the floorboard extensions. But, I have to confess, I have never had the heat issues that other had from day one.....

Springman

I don't really have the heat issue either but after you install them you will notice a difference in the heat levels. The main reason I installed them was for more floorboard room and comfort. ThumbUp You would be surprised how much of a difference they make in the comfort department and there so reasonably priced and easy to install.

Bill G

Bill G.....where are the pics you attached? Still learning the ins and out around this forum. I see where it says thumbnails attached bit nothing opens there?

And for a newbie such as myself....With simple mechanical skills...would I be able to add the floorboard extenders myself...ya think???

Again....THANKS FOR THE INPUT !

And for a newbie such as myself....With simple mechanical skills...would I be able to add the floorboard extenders myself...ya think???

You sure would be able to do the install yourself. Just a matter of removing bolt(s), take new longer bolt and spacer, and re-attach.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Freewheeler. I too suggest the floorboard extensions and also the tank lift kit from DK Custom. You should be able to do both yourself. The tank lift kit will raise the gas tank up 1-1/2" to 2" which let's more air circulate around the engine making the engine run cooler and also reduces air updraft to the rider. As others have stated both kits are simple too install and only takes about 15 minutes each.

Sunman

Bill G.....where are the pics you attached? Still learning the ins and out around this forum. I see where it says thumbnails attached bit nothing opens there?

Hopefully you will be able to see them this time. 1" Floorboard ext, the 2" V twin manufacturing ext heal shifter arm and the 3 1/2" LA Choppers front ext shift peg.

Yes, the floorboard ext are pretty easy to install.

Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 87

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PERuss
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png