• It appears that you have unread Personal Messages - Please check your inbox!

Newbie looking at a 2013 spyder d4dc with 5500 miles

I have no idea what a D4DC is, Sorry. I have a 2012 Spyder RTL. It has the 998 VTwin and se5 transmission. I have had it for 6 years and it has 63,520 miles on it. It runs very well,is smooth on long trips and handles very well once you learn how to ride it. If you are coming from 2 wheels it will take a little time to make the adjustment. Relax your grip on the bars. Oil changes are every 4500 miles and are fiddly because of all the plastic you have to remove. Your Spyder will have the original tires on it. They are junk,get some decent car tires on it and it will ride and drive really great. The original tires are too old to trust anyway. BajaRon for oil filters and seals. Motorcycledave.com and Value Accessories are great for accessories.So is canamspyderaccessories.com. I have bought from all of them and been treated very well. Enjoy your Spyder and get some miles on that poor thing. Post pictures.

Would love to get some input from anyone on the model, ride, problems and maintenance. Thanks!

Belle.....Welcome to Trike Talk.....:wave4:...

About the 2013 Spyder... There was a Major Heat/Fire problem with the 2013 Spyder's make sure all the ''Recalls'' and heat abatements were done to that Spyder.....

Hi Belle... welcome to TrikeTalk and good for you to ask questions before you buy.

You do not state whether you have ever ridden a 2-wheel motorcycle or a 3-wheel trike. Your profile shows only “car” for your vehicle.

If you have not ridden a Spyder I would like to suggest you find a Spyder rider course offered in your area. This might help you decide whether you really want to pursue a Spyder purchase.

Then if you do, go to a dealer or 2 and test drive a couple of different models to see which might best suit you.

Good luck with your quest and check back in with us to give an update.

Would love to get some input from anyone on the model, ride, problems and maintenance. Thanks!

If you haven't bought it yet, reconsider. That year, as mentioned above, was very prone to overheating and a real fire hazard. One of my best friends had a 2013 and his burned to the ground. BRP did recalls for updates that may have solved the problems later, but make double sure ALL have been done. Get the VIN # off the bike, call BRP and see if all have been done (they would have records of that). That year only is an issue (the 2013 was to have the new 1330cc engine in it, but it was not ready for production so they put the 990 back in to a redesigned frame for the 1330 that caused the issues). The earlier models are great and the later models are even better! My wife has had both and I have the 1330cc and love it.

Belle.....Welcome to Trike Talk.....:wave4:...

About the 2013 Spyder... There was a Major Heat/Fire problem with the 2013 Spyder's make sure all the ''Recalls'' and heat abatements were done to that Spyder.....

Thanks so much. The recall was on the RT. The spyder I did buy is the f3. Different set up. It appears the recall did not apply to this model.

Get that VIN # and call a dealer or BRP and see what you ACTUALLY have bought.

If it's really a 2013 model, it should be an RT, or ST, or maybe an RS.

Good luck and let us know what you find out! There is not a 2013 F3 model listed in NADA used listings.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glockjock
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png