had a fire this morning.

3W-lonerider

350+ Posts
Reaction score
went riding this morning and stopped to do allittle car shopping. walking back to the bike i notice a screw in the left rear tire.

well the tires were down in tread so dropped the wife off at the house and i went to the tire dealer and got new tires on the back.

backed the trike out of the service bay at the tire dealer and proceded to go up the street to get the state inspection done.

after pulling out of the tire shop i started to smell smoke, kept looking around to see where the building was on fire. did'nt recall hearing any fire engines.

so i pull into the inspection station and the smoke bellowed up around the gas tank, one of the guys came out with a fire extinguisher and sprayed it. we got the positive off the battery.

they left me borrow a truck and trailer to haul it home.

getting ready to pull the tank and check the damage. first time in 20 years my bike has been on a trailer. sure looked sad back there.

went riding this morning and stopped to do allittle car shopping. walking back to the bike i notice a screw in the left rear tire.

well the tires were down in tread so dropped the wife off at the house and i went to the tire dealer and got new tires on the back.

backed the trike out of the service bay at the tire dealer and proceded to go up the street to get the state inspection done.

after pulling out of the tire shop i started to smell smoke, kept looking around to see where the building was on fire. did'nt recall hearing any fire engines.

so i pull into the inspection station and the smoke bellowed up around the gas tank, one of the guys came out with a fire extinguisher and sprayed it. we got the positive off the battery.

they left me borrow a truck and trailer to haul it home.

getting ready to pull the tank and check the damage. first time in 20 years my bike has been on a trailer. sure looked sad back there.

well got the tank off and all the wiring is fried between the center cover and battery. it melted the clutch hyd. hose melted the tilt sensor and center cover. almost every part i look for is discontinued and the only way to get it is buy used.

i really don't think i'm going to fix it. i think i'm ready for a new bike. or just give up riding.

Wow Rick, I am really sorry to hear your sad news! You and your ride have been together a long time.

well got the tank off and all the wiring is fried between the center cover and battery. it melted the clutch hyd. hose melted the tilt sensor and center cover. almost every part i look for is discontinued and the only way to get it is buy used.

i really don't think i'm going to fix it. i think i'm ready for a new bike. or just give up riding.

Man that sucks, excuse the language, could you possible tell what caused the melt down. Here I am just bought a used one. I guess anyone of them can do this. Don't give up on riding. Check at Pinwall on some of the wiring. He has a lot of Valkyrie parts.

David

Rick, that is awful news to hear. Was it electrical or fuel related ? Keep optimistic and look forward to the fix or a new one.

It was electrical. Glad it was behind the center cover or it woulda melted the fuel line then the boom woulda happened. It did melt the vent line off the back of the tank.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

But I totally rebuilt my 99 Valk mostly with used parts off of ebay or from PinWall Cycle parts.

They are out there. Including a full harness which was one of the 1st things I replaced.

It can be done.

1st pics what I started with.

2nd was the bike 8 months later and 98% restored to stock with all NOS or PinWall parts.

Attachments

• DSC00494.JPG
    DSC00494.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 192
  • rebuilt 98% stock (1).JPG
    rebuilt 98% stock (1).JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 187
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

But I totally rebuilt my 99 Valk mostly with used parts off of ebay or from PinWall Cycle parts.

They are out there. Including a full harness which was one of the 1st things I replaced.

It can be done.

1st pics what I started with.

2nd was the bike 8 months later and 98% restored to stock with all NOS or PinWall parts.

Nice Job ... bet that was a very fun project.

the thing of it is. i turn wrenches 50 hours a week, i'm getting to the point that the last thing i wanna do when i get home is turn wrenches if ya know what i mean.

Sometimes with a vehicle fire, It would have better if the guy with the fire extinguisher, Didn't find one.....Then just collect the insurance [Totaled out]......And then move on in any direction you want...:Shrug:...

Sometimes with a vehicle fire, It would have better if the guy with the fire extinguisher, Didn't find one.....Then just collect the insurance [Totaled out]......And then move on in any direction you want...:Shrug:...

yep, i agree. but in a matter of minutes it would've melted threw the gas line. with 4 gallons of gas in the tank. i think they are going to total it anyway. because theres parts like the tilt sensor and radio that are no longer available

so far iv'e come up with 2 grand in parts and thats not including the parts i can't get. plus even if i was doing the wiring harness i think i'd be looking at 16 hours at 50 per hour that would be half of what the bike shop would charge.

yep, i agree. but in a matter of minutes it would've melted threw the gas line. with 4 gallons of gas in the tank. i think they are going to total it anyway. because theres parts like the tilt sensor and radio that are no longer available

so far iv'e come up with 2 grand in parts and thats not including the parts i can't get. plus even if i was doing the wiring harness i think i'd be looking at 16 hours at 50 per hour that would be half of what the bike shop would charge.

You may want to see what they'll give you. It may not even be close to what it costs to replace. A bike that old with that many miles probably doesn't book out for much. Around here if it totals you won't be taking it back and repairing it.

the thing of it is. i turn wrenches 50 hours a week, i'm getting to the point that the last thing i wanna do when i get home is turn wrenches if ya know what i mean.

I used to ... now that I'm retired ... I kind of look forward to the next project that causes me to turn wrenches ... now cleaning the garage .. that I don't look forward to. :Shrug:

Nice Job ... bet that was a very fun project.

Thanks bike rode and ran great.

I did it to use the bike as my trike.

But since no shop down here was willing to make me a custom kit for a Metric bike. Reverse was the one thing I had to have.

I gave up on the idea and eventually sold it.

Its now someplace in Norway. That was 5 to 6 years ago.

I bought the GoldWing trike instead.

I still have a lot of parts left over sitting in my garage.

Even with an Interstate a lot if things can be as they say "left" out. Ex: tilt sensor the 1st part id not even consider replacing. Tons of them can be had not new but they are out there.

At my present age and shape. I don't think I could/would do this again.

Just calculated everything thing up. Looks like 2500.00 in parts. Plus my labor. Been looking at the new yamaha transcontinental but nobody is making a trike kit for it yet. Don't know how far along they are at doing it. So i might be doing this anyway. Looks like the main harness isn't that difficult. Btw you done a great job on that valk.

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeza
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png