08 Gl1800 Engine rattle maybe HELP

Joe, is that why you put the grab bars on? :)

:yes:...................My ratio is 3.55 (Jeep rear end)
Was wondering if a different ratio would increase gas mileage. With a little better shift.

1st to 2nd@20mph
3rd@35mph
4th@45mph
5th almost never before 60mph. Or is shudders. Ride mostly in 4th.

Folks at Roadsmith seem to think not.

2008 GW1800 MotorTrike. Here in Colorado I always use 85. The last tank I got was from an off brand. It started to knock when I luggedat lower rpm. And it was more pronounced when going around a right hand curve. So I'm going to run some high test through it to see if that cures the problem of the knock. Wonder if the added weight of the trike kit dictates that I use a higher grade?
BARE, did you happen to notice that the noise was worse in the turns?

Maybe I just need to get those rpms up when I go through the turns.[/QUOTU

UPDATE...........
Ok the steels and fibers have been replaced, there was always a thumping noise in the clutch basket at start-up when cold now its gone, however the knocking is still there I fill the tank with 93 octane NO DIFFERENCE DID NOT HELP.
No change in turn

Bear, if you haven't, I would check the timing on the engine. Not saying that is the problem That will cause the knock
I am thinking that at 50mph in 5th gear is to low (That's when it knocks rattles)if I shift from 4th to 5th at 55 mph NO RATTLE.
Maybe you are right the trike Differential is higher than stock 1800 that and the weight difference is why more RPM shift points are necessary.
Does any one know the how much the gear ratio has changed??
Bare

Bare, If you haven't checked the timing on the engine, I would. Not saying that is the problem, but if it is out of time it could cause it to knock.

Hey Bare,I had the same noise.The shop said it was the clutch and replaced it and basket.The noise was still there.It ended up being the alternator drive.It has a dampener and the clip that holds it together broke.Had to have engine removed to replace it.2200 dollars and it's fixed.Good luck.;)

i wouldnt have believed it . my engine sounded like it was coming apart heaver rattle at about 3000 rpm slight knock at idle. turned out the cheap alternator i bougt on ebay the bearing was bad causing all of it i replced it and now just smooth as silk

Change your plugs...
Change your plugs...
Oh yes... i forgot to tell you

change your plugs....

I used to run 89 in my 05. I though well if 87 is good 89 should be great....
that is until I took a aturn on washington DC and my engine made noises like someone had dropped a box of flat washers in the engine...

I went to Wd in billings and it was very intermittent, that is untill I went up beartooth pass, and it was gone. I asked the Honda rep and he told me it could be one of 3 things.
Plugs, or baro, or vacum sensor.

Went back home changed the plugs....

KNOCK GONE. the plugs were covered with unburned fuel..
Went back to 87, and haven't heard detonation since.

I should have learned this from my mini vans. It calls for 87 and I once put 89 in the tank and it ran like CRAP.

But once the plugs are crapped out you must change them out, and after that go back to 87 gas.

I've read over and over that burning a higher octane in an engine that only requires 87 is a complete waste of money. Especially in this day and age when oil companies are widening the "spread" between 87 and 91 or 92. Used to be 20 cents, and now it is 40 or more in some places. Even the oil companies admit a higher octane is not necessary and they love to sell the stuff.

I've owned several Wings, from 1100 to 1800 and never had to run at lower gear at highway speeds and that means 5th gear at 40 MPH. Never seemed like I hurt any of the engines.

I had the rattle . sounded like the engine was trashed. it was the rear bearing in the cheap altenator i bought on ebay. i would not believe that the sound would transfer like that. new bearings sounds like a sewing machine again

I run a tankful of premium through mine about every tenth tank or so just for the extra injector/carbon cleaners in it...."how I know" about the mileage.....:):cool:

Skuuter, do a search, Google, on "top tier gas" , it is very interesting. Top tier gas is gas recommended by major auto manufactures, GM, BMW, Mercedes, Ford, etc, that contains cleaning additives to meet their specs. Only those gas companies that meet those min. requirements get listed. Most interesting is the requirement that those detergents that are used must be used in all grades of gas that they sell and at all their stations.
Sorry to get off the original topic.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stockville69
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png