Mar 6, 2010
Wheeler,Texas
Looking for a little insight.

We seem to have "lost" our u-joint while out for a little afternoon/dinner ride.

Had a new one installed the day we bought the trike(10,000 miles ago).

Normal?! I surely hope not.

When I look at the joint, I see the splines and the spring all intact,and the caps all look fine,but oh lordy does she vibrate when decelerating from ANY speed above 60 mph.

Can I swap out a u-joint without too much trouble?? I aint a pro,but can hold my own in a garage.

Thanks in advance

Welcome 2fromTX. I see in your profile page that your trike is a MotorTrike conversion. Was the whole drive shaft replaced? Was it done by a MotorTrike dealer? I would call either the installing dealer or Richard Graham at MotorTrike and tell him whats going on with your drive shaft. I would not recommend driving it at all until you get it repaired, lest you do some serious damage should it fail.

Yes on the authorized Motor Trike dealer doing the work,but not sure about replacement of the whole drive shaft.

I have no intention of riding it until it is fixed,unfortunately there is not a reputable trike shop nearby(closest one is 150 miles away)

Blondie,I have every intention of getting her fixed before the soiree in Dallas, but as usual we got some other stuff looming on the horizon:(

Will be giving MT a call in the morning.

If the forward U joint is Black in color it needs to be replaced. Those were the ones that had a recall on them from MT. If it is Grey it should be good, but can still have gone out. Also check the spring for strong tension. If you can grab the U joint and pull it back with little effort that too could be the problem. It should be hard to move. A decel vibration could also come from the rear end if the lube is low to the point that it is wearing, and the back lash has became more than spec.

If the forward U joint is Black in color it needs to be replaced. Those were the ones that had a recall on them from MT. If it is Grey it should be good, but can still have gone out. Also check the spring for strong tension. If you can grab the U joint and pull it back with little effort that too could be the problem. It should be hard to move. A decel vibration could also come from the rear end if the lube is low to the point that it is wearing, and the back lash has became more than spec.

George, he doesn't mention his model trike and neither did I, but I noticed from his profile page that his is a MT GL1500...not sure the black/grey thing applies to his 1500 conversion does it? I thought it applied to the later GL1800 MT Adventure models.

Zook; That is true. I just saw the MT and went with it ;) The 1500 I am not that familiar with on quirks........

*SIGH*

Trailered her to the shop,and according to the mechanic it was indeed a worn out ujoint. He swapped it out and took it for a test ride and declared it "fixed"

I was in somewhat of a hurry,so I took his word for it and loaded it up and headed for the house(3 hours away)

Decided to take advantage of the good weather yesterday and went on a short 130 mile journey and by golly no decel vibration YAY............BUT she now has what sounds like something loose flopping around in the driveline ONLY when running on totally flat ground or into a right hand sweeping turn(no noise under any sort of load like slight inclines or a sweeping left turn?!?!)

Pulled the covers and cannot see anything hitting on anything else,and while it does not sound/feel all that bad,it is not what I was used to and therefore I am constantly focused on it the whole time I am in motion.

I am really REALLY starting to give serious consideration to getting an HD.

FWIW the new ujoint is grey and the shop IS an authorized MT dealer/servicer

Have you called the guy that did the work and ask the,,, You can call MT down in Troupe, and ask for Richard Graham. He can hopefully give you some thing to look at or check.

Oh I forgot: I seem to remember something about the spring behind the U Joint,,, If you call Richard ask about that. I cant remember the details......

Spoke to Richard this afternoon,he seems to think the driveshaft may be slightly bent (WTF)........I called the shop that installed the ujoint,and we are gonna stop in there Friday on our way to Dallas and have them look at it and maybe change out the driveshaft.

Prolly gonna stop at Ft Thunder Harley too:AGGHH:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lavinia

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lavinia
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png